Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MExtross
Helper I
Helper I

Data Changing When Creating Visuals

Hello! I am trying to create visuals however occasionally some data will be omitted from the visual (my excel file had values for 8 quarters but when creating the visual it only shows 4 quarters). Additionally, sometimes the data shows up in the visual in a different order (months of the year shows up out of order). Does anyone know how to fix this? I have double checked that the full data has been imported...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Eric_Zhang and @fhill,

Thanks for replying!

I was actually able to fix the error myself, surprisingly. Basically since there were multiple quarters (Q1 for 2016 and Q1 for 2017, and so on for those two years), it actually combined them, hence why there were only 4 quarters showing instead of 8. I just had to add the year in for power bi to keep them separate.

As for the months, I added another column and put numbers in for the order I wanted the months to appear and then "sorted by number", which solved the issue!

Overall, surprisingly easy fixes!

Thank again,

Maegan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
chethan
Resolver III
Resolver III

@MExtross

Occasionally some data will not be omitted Until you filter the data from the Year in the visual level filter.

until you do this you data will keep omitting occasionally & even every time.

Regards,

Chetan K

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Make sure your Month is defined as a Date in Power BI, this shoudl help your sorting order.  If you just have a TEXT column of Month Names, than April & August come first b/c it doesnt' know it's a date.

If you find smaller charts are missing column names, try chaning the X-Axis 'Type' value under formatting to 'Categorial' instead of Continuus.  

Hope this helps, if not, please post some data examples so we can duplciate the error on our end.

Thank You,

FOrrest

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@MExtross wrote:

Hello! I am trying to create visuals however occasionally some data will be omitted from the visual (my excel file had values for 8 quarters but when creating the visual it only shows 4 quarters). Additionally, sometimes the data shows up in the visual in a different order (months of the year shows up out of order). Does anyone know how to fix this? I have double checked that the full data has been imported...

@MExtross

I don't think Power BI would ommit any data in the dataset, for the quarters, you may not put the correct column in the visual. As to the months of years showing out of order, could you ensure that the months column are a date type column instead of text type like 'Jan', 'Feb' etc, for latter case, the months would show in a alphabetical order.

For further suggestion, please post some sample data and expected output.

Hi @Eric_Zhang and @fhill,

Thanks for replying!

I was actually able to fix the error myself, surprisingly. Basically since there were multiple quarters (Q1 for 2016 and Q1 for 2017, and so on for those two years), it actually combined them, hence why there were only 4 quarters showing instead of 8. I just had to add the year in for power bi to keep them separate.

As for the months, I added another column and put numbers in for the order I wanted the months to appear and then "sorted by number", which solved the issue!

Overall, surprisingly easy fixes!

Thank again,

Maegan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.