Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

DAX or Custom table creation by joining columns from multiple tables

Hi Team,

Hope everyone is doing good!

Need help in achieving the below scenerio. we are using Sharepoint online list as datasource to fetch the data. But the real problems comes with data refresh , as because lot of steps are added on the table to get the clean data. What i did notice was things like Merge Queries (used Inner join) , expand columns (post merge to get the loook up table related columns) etc. are taking very long time to refersh So i tested  the scenerio by removing all these extractions and just refreshing the raw data as it comes from sharepoint online, then the refresh completed in minutes.

But, that is not suffice. We need to go for merge queries option as the custom reports can't be made just with the raw data as is . when discussed with Microsft team, they said there are issues with SharePoint online connector and trying to fix them. Eventhough the fix is released, the mid air token validity will be 2 hrs max. if this is the case, then all the reports will definetly fail if the data grew. 

So i am testing in multiple ways to solve the issue. So i am thinking of getting raw data with limited transformation like removing metadata related columns, expanding person or group column and then apply dax expressions to establish relations between the data and create reports. As part of this exercie, i wanted know how to establish a report that involves columns from multiple tables in a single table visual with one-to-many relationship established. Below image helps you to visualize the scenerio.

Image1.PNG

Lets assume below are the data tables

Product Description:

Product IDProduct Name
1SUV
2Muti Axle Bus

Hatch Back

Vendor:

Product ID Vendor Name
1Nissan
1Jaguar
2Volvo
2Scania
3Volkswagen
3Hyundai

item cost:

Product IDItem DescriptionCost(in USD)
1Interior Design3000
1Body Design4000
2Interior Design100000
3Interior Design9000
3Body Design11000

Total Cost:

The consolidated report should like below:

Product IDProduct NameVendorItem DescriptionCost(in USD)Total Cost
1SUVJaguarInterior Design30007000
1SUVJaguarBody Design40007000
2Multi Axle busVolvoInterior Design100000100000
3Hatch BackHyundaiInterior Design900020000
3Hatch BackHyundaiBody Design1100020000

Please help in arriving at the above scenerio. I know creating custom table using merge queries with inner join is an option. but as sharepoint list as a connector, its not working great and it is taking ages to complete the refresh. 

Thanks for being patience in reading the entire case scenerio.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

So... If I simplify the question... are you saying "given these 4 tables of data that came from Sharepoint... how can I use DAX to create the consolitated report" ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Instead of clixking edit queries and use merge queries. I am looking for a possibility to create a consolidate report using DAX. Any help
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team,

Can someone help me with this requirement ?

Regards,

Sivapratap

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.