Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apatil
Frequent Visitor

DAX Table Joins

Hi All,

I am trying to join three tables using a Dax query. These tables have  relationship with one another but in power BI reports I am loosing data for few payroll periods due to direct relationship between Payroll (P) and Termination (T) Table on P_ID. to avoid this data loss I have to add one more condition containing termination date from A less than EndDate of table P and T.Status =1 or 2.

I have written SQL query for this which is working fine in my SSRS reports. Now I want to transfer this report to power BI and I am all confuse how to do this.

SELECT *
FROM A
INNER JOIN T ON A.Id = T.A_Id
INNER JOIN P ON (((A.TerminationDate <= P.EndDate)
AND (T.Status = 1 or T.Status = 2))
OR (T.P_Id = P.Id))

I am not sure how to join TerminationTransaction to PayrollSchedule based on two more conditions than only P_ID.

Does anyone know how can I do  this in power BI. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

So, if importing from SQL to Power BI Desktop, you can use the SQL Server connector and on the pop-up screen you will see down at the bottom, "Advanced options". Expand that and you can paste in your SQL statement.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

So, I'm not sure that this is really a DAX-type question. I think you need to start thinking in terms of visuals rather than just data manipulation (SQL queries). For example, if we look at your query:

SELECT *
FROM A
OR (T.P_Id = P.Id))

Now, I do not have your data or specific information what you are trying to accomplish but ,to me, this means that you have 3 tables, A, T and P. They are related to one another via an "Id" field in each. So, in Power BI you would import the tables independently and then create a relationship between the tables on the "Id" fields. You could then create a column or measure to check if A[TerminationDate] is less than or equal to P[EndDate]. The you could create a table visualization with all of the columns from A in it and then filter the visualization to your column/measure that you created and a T[Status] of either 1 or 2.

Latest book!:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, I would think that you would relate the tables and then do a CROSSJOIN function in DAX but you may have more luck with this in Power Query as this allows fairly complex, conditional joins. Or, just use your SQL query as the SQL query for your Power Query query using the "Advanced" functionality when creating your query in Power Query and this will bring back a table with all of the joins performed.

Wow, I was able to use the word query six times in a single sentence!!

Latest book!:

hello @Greg_Deckler

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please guide me how to load data in power BI advance editor using SQL query? 

Also my current power BI datamodel is using these tables with many other tables for diffrent reports, can I load data with SQL query in same data model, will it affect my other reports or I need to prepare new data model for this report? 

Thjank you. 

So, if importing from SQL to Power BI Desktop, you can use the SQL Server connector and on the pop-up screen you will see down at the bottom, "Advanced options". Expand that and you can paste in your SQL statement.

Latest book!:

Hello @Greg_Deckler

I am able to import the intended data using SQL query. 🙂 

I will work on my reports now. Thank you so for your suggestion, my report was pending due to this data load.

Though this solution worked for me, do you suggest this is the best practice or I could also do this with DAX query? 

I am learning DAX query and was trying to use FILTER with RELATED function but was not able to run this query due to many errors. 

For my understanding can you please suggest what would be the DAX way to get this data?

Appreciate your help so much. 

So, I'm not sure that this is really a DAX-type question. I think you need to start thinking in terms of visuals rather than just data manipulation (SQL queries). For example, if we look at your query:

SELECT *
FROM A
OR (T.P_Id = P.Id))

Now, I do not have your data or specific information what you are trying to accomplish but ,to me, this means that you have 3 tables, A, T and P. They are related to one another via an "Id" field in each. So, in Power BI you would import the tables independently and then create a relationship between the tables on the "Id" fields. You could then create a column or measure to check if A[TerminationDate] is less than or equal to P[EndDate]. The you could create a table visualization with all of the columns from A in it and then filter the visualization to your column/measure that you created and a T[Status] of either 1 or 2.

Latest book!:

Hello @Greg_Deckler

That too worked for me! 😊

I should have break the steps as you have mentioned. I was trying to write s single query in DAX same as I wrote in SQL with FILTER/ RELATED /AND/ OR which was very complex and confusing to execute. 

My visualizations are simple tabular report where I am getting detailed data by filtering employee payroll category by year and payroll schedule. I imported a table view using advance query in my existing data model only for this report and connected this view with table A on "Id" filed for further relational visualizations. 

Appreciate your help.

Thank You. 

Happy to help. Power BI definitely forces you to have to switch gears in terms of how you approach an issue sometimes!!

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.