Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mstefancik
Advocate II
Advocate II

DAX: Rank measure needs tweaking

Hello,

I have got simple scenario.

In a company are 20 sellers. I created 2 DAX queries to rank sellers based on margin they made.

DAX:

Rank - Margin seller= RANKX(ALL(Sellers),[Margin])

Rank - Margin company = calculate(COUNT(Sellers[SellerID]),FILTER(ALL(Sellers),[Margin]>0))

Now it shows me: Seller A = 2./20 (Rank - Margin seller&"./"&Rank - Margin company)

Explanation: Seller A is on the 2nd place based on margin height from the orher 20 sellers.

DAX works well. I needed to apply RLS, so every single seller can see only his data. There is one group called Managers, they can see all the data and for them Ranking works well.

But for the rest, for Sellers group DAX is broken and it still shows 1.

Is there any workaround how to rank sellers when row level security is applied?

Thx

1 REPLY 1
CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

DAX is never broken - we just don't get the results we expect !!   so this is a guess because I haven't worked with RLS but based on your post it sounds like it is showing 1 because it applies a filter context and the recalc results within that context.

So to avoid that - I think you need to write the rank info into core data table where you have the complete sellers list using a calculated column.  That sets the data upfront rather than calcs it on the fly...  so that in your visual you can call that value without it recalculating.

Just a guess.....

www.CahabaData.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.