Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jamalq123
Helper II
Helper II

DAX Measure require for Ranking

Dear All,

I am associated with a channel business. I want to determine the rank of a particular program of a channel. Rank of the program should consider the timeslots and the date in which the program telecasted in a week, month, Quarter etc. Rank should be based on all the programs of the different channels which telecasted on the same time-slots and on the same date so that an apple to apple comparison could be done.

Here I have taken 2 programs of Geo named Noore- Zindagi and Dhani which attained ranking of 1 and 3 respectively. These programs have telecasted on the same time-slots but on the different date.

For this exercise, I use pivot table but it takes significant time. I complete the exercise in the following steps:

• In 1st phase, I have to identify that in which timeslots and the date, the program is telecasted. I jot down it in a copy.
  • In 2nd phase, I fix the same time slots and date in Pivot table.
  • Then run all the programs of all the channels on the above criteria
  • Work out the Rank based on the rating.

For each program I have to do the same exercise, this is very lengthy process, kindly help me in this project.

I am also enclosing here dummy data of a month. Please see data here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5eKgvOGu5MLaGt6M2Zidk9PY0k.

Kindly help me to make the DAX Measure which could be applied on any programs of any channel.

Regards,

Jamal Qamar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dear All,

This was no doubt a complicate project for me, I got one response from the Power BI community but it was not meeting the requirement.

I thought to make any DAX measure to resolve the issue but not achieved the objective.

I spent a significant time on it and after discussion with my bro, I worked on the normalization and now it is working well. I still feel that there is some data redundancy, but this was the last approach which I used. Please download the PBIX file form the link and give your feedback which is very important for me and if any suggestion to improve it please guide me.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5eKgvOGu5MLX1BqQ3F5aVFRNU0

Regards,

Jamal Qamar

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jamalq123,

You an create two measures below: 

AVG = AVERAGEX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Rating data'),'Rating data'[Program]=MAX('Rating data'[Program])),'Rating data'[Ratings])

Rank = var t=RANKX(ALLSELECTED('Rating data'),[AVG],,DESC,Dense)
return IF(COUNTROWS('Rating data')=COUNTX(ALLSELECTED('Rating data'),'Rating data'[Ratings])||COUNTROWS('Rating data')=COUNTX(FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Rating data'),'Rating data'[Program]=MAX('Rating data'[Program])),'Rating data'[Ratings]),t,BLANK())

You can download attached to see if it meet your requirements. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear All,

This was no doubt a complicate project for me, I got one response from the Power BI community but it was not meeting the requirement.

I thought to make any DAX measure to resolve the issue but not achieved the objective.

I spent a significant time on it and after discussion with my bro, I worked on the normalization and now it is working well. I still feel that there is some data redundancy, but this was the last approach which I used. Please download the PBIX file form the link and give your feedback which is very important for me and if any suggestion to improve it please guide me.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5eKgvOGu5MLX1BqQ3F5aVFRNU0

Regards,

Jamal Qamar

Thanks for your response and very sorry for replying delay, 

Today based on the data which i shared with you and you also also woked on it and sent me the PBIX file. I have done ranking of  Geo TV programs manually based on the criteria which i mentioned earlier and the out put is given belowI.Program ranking.pngBut when I comapare it with your PBIX file, it does not match with the one which i did manually. 

I feel that you are making comparison among the the programs of Geo. This is not my objective. But when i select other channel also it makes comparision on all the programs which are appearing but this is not my objective. 

I want to compare the programs which telecast on the same date and the same time-slots. 

If there is any confusion, kindly reply me. Moreover, the table which I made above it took around 45 minutes, I want to avoid it

This is the snapshot of PBIX which I have taken for comparison purposes..

PBIX File.png

Regards,

Jamal Qamar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.