Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RickyBurton

DAX Hourly Variance Percentage Formula

Hello,

I am playing about in Power BI and have become stuck I am trying to work out the variance in percentage between to numbers,

This is the formula i have found that works but need to right it as a measure or column which would be best.

To calculate the percentage increase:

First: work out the difference (increase) between the two numbers you are comparing.

Increase = New Number - Original Number

Then:  divide the increase by the original number and multiply the answer by 100.

% increase = Increase ÷ Original Number × 100.

If your answer is a negative number then this is a percentage decrease.

To calculate percentage decrease:

First: work out the difference (decrease) between the two numbers you are comparing.

Decrease = Original Number - New Number

Then: divide the decrease by the original number and multiply the answer by 100.

% Decrease = Decrease ÷ Original Number × 100

If your answer is a negative number then this is a percentage increase.

If you wish to calculate the percentage increase or decrease of several numbers then we recommend using the first formula. Positive values indicate a percentage increase whereas negative values indicate percentage decrease.

how can this be done?

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@RickyBurton,

For your issue, you could use a IF function to check which one is larger, New Number or Original Number. The sample expression would like below.
Difference=IF(New Number >Original Number,New Number - Original Number,Original Number - New Number)

If this is not what you want, please provide us some sample data, and elaborate your requirement, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msftThanks for the reply, what I am after is getting the percentage variance.

of Hours input against Hours Against = my varience%

Work Test - Power BI Desktop.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.