Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tljthree
Advocate I
Advocate I

DAX Calculation - Total for Previous Work Day - regardless of date in context

Hello Power BI gurus,

I have amounts posted each work day, and would like to be able to reliably calculate the amount from the Previous Work Day, in the context of the current Work Day.  See the snip below - the red column is the one I'm trying to calculate.

Previous_WorkDay_DAX_problem.jpg

Things that I have tried:

(a) The Previousday() function doesn't help, because I want to jump back to the previous work day, or the previous day that I have data.

(b) Using today() doesn't work, because I don't always want the calculation to be from today's standpoint. So logic that uses TODAY() (like the following), isn't a solution:

(weekday(today(),2)
,1,TODAY()-3,
7,TODAY()-2,
TODAY()-1)

Thanks for your help!

Tom in Indy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After further review, with stimulus from Matt, along with the guys from SQLBI, I found a solution.

I added another column to my Calendar table - PreviousWorkDayDimID, populating it with the DateDimID (YYYYMMDD integer) of the Previous work day.

Then, I made my formula the following:

PremiumAmount_PriorWorkday_total:= CALCULATE ([PremiumAmount_total],

FILTER (

ALL ('Calendar'),

'Calendar'[DateDimID]=max('Calendar'[PreviousWorkDayDimID])

)

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Convert your surrogate date key to a date

Create a calendar table and join to your data table

make sure your calendar table has an ID column (integer) starting at 1 for the first working day and advancing by 1 for every subsequent working day. Leave non working days blank

then the following formula will work

sales yesterday = calculate(sum(table[sales]),filter(all(calendar),calendar[id]=max(calendar[id])-1))

here are some articles for you to read and learn 

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/power-pivot-calendar-tables/

http://exceleratorbi.com.au/dax-time-intelligence-beginners/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi @MattAllington,

I'm not sure what go wrong but when I apply below code, it return total sale of the second last working day of my Calendar table. For example: today is 16 Jan 2019, last working day is 15 Jan 2019, it rerurn sale of last working day of my calendar table is 30 Dec 2019

sales yesterday = calculate(sum(table[sales]),filter(all(calendar),calendar[id]=max(calendar[id])-1)).

Here is my file.

https://freeshadow-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/daominhtri_abcda_tech/EZdjquQyGDlLuhV6ztDUgywBVq...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey this still works hepled me a ton 🙂

Matt,

Thank you for your answer. It gets me thinking more.

Your proposed calc gets the NEXT TO LAST day's sales, but won't do it backward throughout the calendar (I don't think). If I have the following dates, it won't show previous work day sales for each line.

Sales Date -----  Sales -----  PrevWorkdaySales

3/14/2017          100                90        

3/13/2017            90               125

3/10/2017          125     

I believe your proposed formula will just show PrevWorkdaySales (90) on the 3/14 line.

I was looking to find PrevWorkdaySales in context.

Thanks again for your input.

After further review, with stimulus from Matt, along with the guys from SQLBI, I found a solution.

I added another column to my Calendar table - PreviousWorkDayDimID, populating it with the DateDimID (YYYYMMDD integer) of the Previous work day.

Then, I made my formula the following:

PremiumAmount_PriorWorkday_total:= CALCULATE ([PremiumAmount_total],

FILTER (

ALL ('Calendar'),

'Calendar'[DateDimID]=max('Calendar'[PreviousWorkDayDimID])

)

Thanks for the help!

HI @tljthree,

Could you pls show me how you create your column PreviousWorkDayDimID?

Hi @tljthree,

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept the helpful reply as solution to help others who may have similar issue easily find the answer and close this thread?Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.