Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom ranking (preassigned values)

Hi Power BI Guru's,

I am not a programmer & new to Pwer BI.

I seek your help in a custom solution to ranking my data under "Matrix" visualization which I am building for Top 50/100 or 300 customers from my table, such that wierd names like "Multiple Customers" or some bankrupt customers records are kept out of the displayed Matrix BUT, they continue to contribute to total value.

The 2nd row of the table in blue color is my table header.

1) First, I should be able to assign a custom rank number to the specific values in the field "Customer" (say "Multiple Customer" or any bankrupt customer.

2) then, the rest records are ranked based on the field "Financial Year" and sum of field "Values USD". No problem if the custom rank numer I chose in point 1 above, is also assinged to other records by the PBI formula.

The result I expect is in the field "Expected Resut".

Please help with this unusual help sought 🙂

Thanks,

Chandan.

Text fieldText fieldText fieldText fieldnumeric field  
CustomerProductMonthFinancial YearValues USDExpected ResultCondition
MicrosoftMobileJuly' 20152015-16                4,0001<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
FaceBookMobileAug' 20152015-16                3,0002<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
AppleMobileJuly' 20152015-16                2,0003<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
General MotorsMobileJuly' 20152015-16                1,0004<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
Multiple CustomersMobileAug' 20152015-16                5,000301<- conditioned to assign Rank no 301 or any such custom Rank number defined by me
CargillMobileJuly' 20152015-16                   100 <- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
WalmartMobileJuly' 20152015-16                      50 <- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
MicrosoftMobileJune' 20162016-17                4,1302<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
FaceBookMobileMay' 20162016-17                6,0981<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
AppleMobileMar' 20172016-17                2,0653<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
General MotorsMobileApril' 20162016-17                1,0334<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
Multiple CustomersMobileSeptember' 20172016-17                5,163301<- conditioned to assign Rank no 301 or any such custom Rank number defined by me
CargillMobileOctober' 20162016-17                   103 <- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
WalmartMobileSeptember' 20162016-17                      52 <- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
MicrosoftMobile 2017-18                4,2642<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
FaceBookMobile 2017-18                6,2961<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
AppleMobile 2017-18                2,1323<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
General MotorsMobile 2017-18                1,0664<- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
Multiple CustomersMobile 2017-18                5,330301<- conditioned to assign Rank no 301 or any such custom Rank number defined by me
CargillMobile 2017-18                   107 <- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
WalmartMobile 2017-18                      53 <- as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD"
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous

If you are looking for a MEASURE, you can use this formula

RANK_Measure =
IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( TableName[Customer] ) = "Multiple Customers",
    RANKX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( TableName ),
            TableName[Financial Year] = SELECTEDVALUE ( TableName[Financial Year] )
                && TableName[Customer] <> "Multiple Customers"
        ),
        CALCULATE ( SELECTEDVALUE ( TableName[Values USD] ) )
    )
)

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @Anonymous

Please see the attached file here

Hope it helps

I just added a calculated column as follows

RANK =
IF (
    TableName[Customer] = "Multiple Customers",
    RANKX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( TableName ),
            TableName[Financial Year] = EARLIER ( TableName[Financial Year] )
        ),
        TableName[Values USD]
    )
)

Regards
Zubair

Hi @Anonymous

If you are looking for a MEASURE, you can use this formula

RANK_Measure =
IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( TableName[Customer] ) = "Multiple Customers",
    RANKX (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( TableName ),
            TableName[Financial Year] = SELECTEDVALUE ( TableName[Financial Year] )
        ),
        CALCULATE ( SELECTEDVALUE ( TableName[Values USD] ) )
    )
)

Regards
Zubair

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Zubair_Muhammad, Thanks for this help. I will check it over this weekend, since PBI is new to me & hence I am slow in using it, I will take leisure time to learn & absorb. Will reply you on Sunday. Thanks Again !!

Hi @Anonymous,

In your expected result, there are some blank row, why they are blank, you only want to display the rank number which is less than 4 in your sample table?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-huizhn-msft , Yes, Rank is required for those blank cells . I kept it blank in the "expected result" field but the adjacent field named "condition" states " as per formula based on field "Financial Year" & sum of "Values USD" ".

Hi @Anonymous,

Ok, got it. Please try the solution @Zubair_Muhammad posted, please mark the right reply as answer if your issue has been resolved, and respond to us if you still have other problems.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-huizhn-msft, yes I got to check that offered solution given by @Zubair_MuhammadZubair Mohammad. I thought if in case you want to contribute from your side in a different way 🙂

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you tried the solution @Zubair_Muhammad posted? Have you resolved your issue? If you have, welcome to share your solution or mark the right reply as answer. More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-huizhn-msft, the solution worked by Mr. Zubair for summarised recrods in a table. I am now looking for a cmore lengthy data with multiple values in the same financial year.

I will post the PBX file & tag you as well in the question.

Thanks,

Chandan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.