Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Theasianmenace
Frequent Visitor

Custom Column - Understanding M language in a sequence

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand this query from another post so that I can expand on it. May I ask someone to follow my math and correct me if I am failing to understand something?

Text.From(Number.RoundDown([Food Age in  Decimal]/5.0,0)*5/1.0)
& " Days - "
& Text.From(((Number.RoundDown([Food Age in Decimal]/5.0,0)*5.0+5.0)/1.0))
& " Days"

Written out, this formula does:
1. Takes a text value from a rounded down number from the data value [Food Age in Decimal] which let's say 3.0.

2. 3.0 is divided by 5.0 and returned to largest integer = 3.0/5.0 = .6

3. This number is then multiplied by 5/1.0 = (.6*5)/1 = 3

4. Then concatenated into " Days -"

5. The second part does the same thing except with a value + 5. Essentially if the value is 3.0, the output would be:

0 Days - 5 Days

6. This repeats by 5 (5days - 10days, 10days-15days) and so on until there's no higher value.

Question 1: How does this query know to continue incrementally?

Question 2: How does this math know to drop the 3.0 value into the (0days-5days) bucket?

I'm really confused but would very much appreciate the help and understanding. Even if someone can explain parts of it.

Thanks!

OP Post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-a-values-range-slicer-not-a-time-range/td-p/2...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

& " Days - "
& " Days"

1. Takes a numeric value [Food Age in Decimal] and divides by 5 and then rounds the number down. If 3.0, that would become 0. .6 rounded down is 0. This 0 is then multiplied by 5 and divided by 1 still making it zero. This numeric value is converted to Text and then the text string " Days - " is concatenated so now you have "0 Days - "

2. The same numeric value (3.0) is now divided by five and rounded down again, obtaining 0 again. Multiplying this 0 by 5 results in 0 then +5 makes the number 5 and then dividing this by 1.0 still leaves you with 5. This numeric 5 is converted to text and then " Days" is concatenated to it and then the whole thing is appended to the previous string so now you have "0 Days - 5 Days".

3. This becomes the value of the column.

There is no repeating with this in that formula other than this executes for every row in the table. So for every row, the numeric value in [Food Age in Decimal] is taken for that row and the above calculations ran.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Just to add on the good things @Greg_Deckler said:

If you look a the full formula generated by the Table.AddColumn-step you will notice that there is an "each"-keyword before that formula, like:

Table.AddColumn(YourPreviousStepname, "YourNewColumnName", each Text.From(Number.RoundDown([Food Age in  Decimal]/5.0,0)*5/1.0) & " Days - " & Text.From(((Number.RoundDown([Food Age in Decimal]/5.0,0)*5.0+5.0)/1.0)) & " Days")

This makes the 3rd parameter a function itself, that, like Greg mentioned, will be applied to every row in the table.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

& " Days - "
& " Days"

1. Takes a numeric value [Food Age in Decimal] and divides by 5 and then rounds the number down. If 3.0, that would become 0. .6 rounded down is 0. This 0 is then multiplied by 5 and divided by 1 still making it zero. This numeric value is converted to Text and then the text string " Days - " is concatenated so now you have "0 Days - "

2. The same numeric value (3.0) is now divided by five and rounded down again, obtaining 0 again. Multiplying this 0 by 5 results in 0 then +5 makes the number 5 and then dividing this by 1.0 still leaves you with 5. This numeric 5 is converted to text and then " Days" is concatenated to it and then the whole thing is appended to the previous string so now you have "0 Days - 5 Days".

3. This becomes the value of the column.

There is no repeating with this in that formula other than this executes for every row in the table. So for every row, the numeric value in [Food Age in Decimal] is taken for that row and the above calculations ran.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the explanation! That makes a lot more sense.

Just to add on the good things @Greg_Deckler said:

If you look a the full formula generated by the Table.AddColumn-step you will notice that there is an "each"-keyword before that formula, like:

Table.AddColumn(YourPreviousStepname, "YourNewColumnName", each Text.From(Number.RoundDown([Food Age in  Decimal]/5.0,0)*5/1.0) & " Days - " & Text.From(((Number.RoundDown([Food Age in Decimal]/5.0,0)*5.0+5.0)/1.0)) & " Days")

This makes the 3rd parameter a function itself, that, like Greg mentioned, will be applied to every row in the table.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Theasianmenace,

I believe that a good person to explain you the details of this would be @ImkeF she's a datanaut specialized in M language.

@ImkeF can you please shed some light on this question.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.