Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GuillermoPuls
Frequent Visitor

Create a Measure for the Number of days between two dates, but only counting work/business days

Hi,

I would like to get a measure that is returning the number of days that a contract is current in a given month.

I have a table with dates (It's a unique list with continuous dates, Week day, moth, year, etc...)

table with sales (Contains: Accounts, Dates, Product, Revenue, etc...)

table with Accounts (Unique list of Accounts

table with contracts (Unique list of Contracts, Account, Start Date, End Date)

The relationships are modelled as followsDays between dates Issue.PNG

When I try the following I get the week days for the whole range dim_Date[Date] 

Working days= 
Calculate(COUNT(dim_Date[Date]),
	     FILTER('dim_Date',AND('dim_Date'[DayOfWeekNumber]<>6,'dim_Date'[DayOfWeekNumber]<>7)),
	    FILTER(ALL(dim_Date),dim_Date[Date]<=calculate(MAX(dim_Date[Date])))
)

When I try the following I get the number of days they order as per the Sales table which at least identify the start and finish date. My problem is that it is counting dates in the sales table instead of counting in the date table.

Count Contracts Days= 
CALCULATE (
    COUNTA( dim_Date[Date] ),
    FILTER ( FILTER(dim_Date,dim_Date[Date] >= CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Contracts'[Start Date]))),
                    AND(dim_Date[DayOfWeekNumber] <> 6,dim_Date[DayOfWeekNumber] <> 7 )),
    FILTER (dim_Date,dim_Date[Date] <= CALCULATE (MAX('Contract'[End Date])))
)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi,

as far as I can see the problem is that you try to use 2 different date columns on the datetable without having 2 different relationships.

My idea would be to try it with mathematic

1. Count all rows

2. Count all rows <= Start date

3. Count all rows >= End date

4.  1. - 2. - 3. = result

Try to use variables. Should looks like this.

CCD = 

var allrows = COUNTROWS(dim_Date[Date])

var exstart = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(dim_Date[Date]),FILTER(dim_Date, dim_Date(Date)<=MAX(Start_date))

var exend =
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(dim_Date[Date]),FILTER(dim_Date, dim_Date(Date)>=MAX(End_date);USERELATIONSHIP(dim_Date(date),end_date))

return

allrows - exstart - exend

Important is that you define in calculate a new relationship between the second date column and the datekey as mentioned in the beginning of my post.

I'm not sure if it works but this would be my way. Good luck

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi,

as far as I can see the problem is that you try to use 2 different date columns on the datetable without having 2 different relationships.

My idea would be to try it with mathematic

1. Count all rows

2. Count all rows <= Start date

3. Count all rows >= End date

4.  1. - 2. - 3. = result

Try to use variables. Should looks like this.

CCD = 

var allrows = COUNTROWS(dim_Date[Date])

var exstart = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(dim_Date[Date]),FILTER(dim_Date, dim_Date(Date)<=MAX(Start_date))

var exend =
CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(dim_Date[Date]),FILTER(dim_Date, dim_Date(Date)>=MAX(End_date);USERELATIONSHIP(dim_Date(date),end_date))

return

allrows - exstart - exend

Important is that you define in calculate a new relationship between the second date column and the datekey as mentioned in the beginning of my post.

I'm not sure if it works but this would be my way. Good luck

Thanks Spuder, it's an interesting approach that works! I haven't started to deploy variables and it looks very practical. 

I spent some more time looking at the relationships and by making them single I got the desired result.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.