Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SSS
Helper I
Helper I

Create Custom Column According last day of the month

Good Morning,

I need some  help trying to create a custom column that allows me to copy the values of one column when it is the last day of the month.

Here you can see how I have my data:

Date                Value        
01/01/2017       4
02/01/2017       1
02/01/2017       3
31/01/2017       4
31/01/2017       5
31/01/2017       6
01/02/2017       0
28/02/2017       5

And I want a custom column (it is mandatory to be a custom column, not a measure or a calculated one) to be able to give me this:

Date                Value            CustomColumn
01/01/2017       4                    null
02/01/2017       1                    null
02/01/2017       3                     ...
31/01/2017       4                     4
31/01/2017       5                     5
31/01/2017       6                     6
01/02/2017       0                     null
28/02/2017       5                    5

The only extra consideration to take into account is that if all the lasts days of a month (for example I have 5 records of 28/02) are 0 (in this case 5 rows that are 28/02 whose value is 0), then my last day will be the previous day that has values different to 0.

Thanks for you helps!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's rather confusing what you mean by "custom column"; I interpreted it as a solution in Power Query (M).

So I created a query with a group by date for all records with Values <> 0, and I adjusted the code to group on mont-end dates.

Then I merged the result with the original source and the rest is pretty straightforward.

let
    Source = Table1,
    FilteredNotZero = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Value] <> 0)),
    MaxDates = Table.Group(FilteredNotZero, {"Date"}, {{"MaxDate", each List.Max([Date]), type date}}, null, 
                           (x,y) => Value.Compare(Date.EndOfMonth(x[Date]),Date.EndOfMonth(y[Date]))),
    Merged = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Date"},MaxDates,{"MaxDate"},"MaxDate",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expanded = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merged, "MaxDate", {"MaxDate"}),
    AddedCustom = Table.AddColumn(Expanded, "CustomColumn", each if [MaxDate] = null then null else [Value]),
    RemovedColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddedCustom,{"MaxDate"})
in
    RemovedColumns

Alternatively I could have added a custom column with month-end dates and group on that column, but the solution above is much more fun. Smiley LOL

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SSS,

I test the Query statement @MarcelBeug posted using the following sample table, and get the expected result.

sample tablesample table
expected resultexpected result
Please mark the right replay as answer, so more members will find workaround easily.

Best Regards,
Angelia

rocky09
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

CustomColumn= IF(Table2[Date ]=ENDOFMONTH(Table2[Date]),Table2[Value],BLANK())

It's rather confusing what you mean by "custom column"; I interpreted it as a solution in Power Query (M).

So I created a query with a group by date for all records with Values <> 0, and I adjusted the code to group on mont-end dates.

Then I merged the result with the original source and the rest is pretty straightforward.

let
    Source = Table1,
    FilteredNotZero = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Value] <> 0)),
    MaxDates = Table.Group(FilteredNotZero, {"Date"}, {{"MaxDate", each List.Max([Date]), type date}}, null, 
                           (x,y) => Value.Compare(Date.EndOfMonth(x[Date]),Date.EndOfMonth(y[Date]))),
    Merged = Table.NestedJoin(Source,{"Date"},MaxDates,{"MaxDate"},"MaxDate",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expanded = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merged, "MaxDate", {"MaxDate"}),
    AddedCustom = Table.AddColumn(Expanded, "CustomColumn", each if [MaxDate] = null then null else [Value]),
    RemovedColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(AddedCustom,{"MaxDate"})
in
    RemovedColumns

Alternatively I could have added a custom column with month-end dates and group on that column, but the solution above is much more fun. Smiley LOL

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks Guys!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.