Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

btalahmbong
Advocate I
Advocate I

Create Column with Last 3 Months

Hi,

I have a date column and I am trying to create a calculated column that contains the dates from current date and shifts back 3 months. So far I noticed it is possible to use DATESBETWEEN or DATESINPERIOD in a CALCULATE function but they can't be used independently which is what I am trying to do. Is there a way I can do this? Here's the dax code I had for my calculated column;

Last3Months = DATESINPERIOD('All Stations'[Date],TODAY(), -3,MONTH)

Here's the error I get;

A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.

Thanks for your help.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @btalahmbong

DatesBetween and DatesinPeriod both return tables and not a scalar value.

As a result, you cannot use the functions "alone' (except when using DAX as a query language to create new tables) in measures or calculated columns.

But you can use these tables as filter arguments to Calculate yes.

For example, this measure:

SalesLast3Month = Calculate ([Total Sales],DATESINPERIOD('All Stations'[Date],TODAY(), -3,MONTH))

returns the total sales of the last three months.

Measures automatically adapt to filter context and make your calculations dynamic!

@btalahmbong

Any updates on your question ?

For now, I'm creating new measures filtered by last 3 months. I'll keep on playing with it and see if I can find a way to create a column that acts as a 3 monh filter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.