Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hkrash0920
Helper I
Helper I

Countrows Function

Hi...I am not sure I what I about to say correctly so please forgive me. I am trying to count rows in a table and have the filters that have applied to the table outside applied.

When I use the Count function where all the fields are listed, I get the correct number.

Capture.PNG

However, I want to change the name of the column from "count of client" to something else and you can't do that so I was trying to create an expression to get the same output but have been unsuccessful.

My expression is:

Client Count = COUNTROWS(ALLSELECTED('Global Sales and Pipeline Extra'[Client]))

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

And how have you written Client Count for that screenshot? COUNTA should give the same results as the count quick measure unless you've added something else.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Why would you not just use counta?

Client Count = COUNTA('Global Sales and Pipeline Extra'[Client])

The outcome is not right. I am assuming it is counting all the text characters in each cell. The column is all text. Thanks. 

No, it's counting each non-blank row in the column given the filter context, including duplicate values. Maybe you want DISTINCTCOUNT? It's unclear how your data is structured or how exactly the incorrect results are incorrect.

Capture.PNG

Here is a screenshot of it. Does this help? Count of client is correct.

And how have you written Client Count for that screenshot? COUNTA should give the same results as the count quick measure unless you've added something else.

@hkrash0920

Check to see which count is automating by clicking the drop down arrow by the name in your fields. Then create a measure to match. See image.snip.JPG

Counta as a measure worked. When I did it as a new column, it didn't. Thank you...thank you...thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors