Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

flaglerkid

Count by Date & Time for Multiple Date Columns

Hello,

I have data provided to me that I am trying to transform into a stacked area chart by time of arrival. The data set is similar to the following format:

NameStatus1-Jan2-Jan3-Jan
John SmithApproved1/1/2018 15:30  
Jane DoePending Approval1/1/2018 16:301/2/2018 10:00 
Mary SmithApproved  1/3/2018 9:00

My desired outcome is to have a stacked area chart with the Legend represented by the Status column and a continuous hierarchical time scale along the bottom that allows me to drill into each day and see a count of the arrivals by day or by hour depending on the level of drill.

The solution is not as simple as merging the columns because one row may have data in two different day columns.

I cannot modify the data source so I need to transform the data within the query editor or create a calculated field in some way.

I am comfortable with DAX expressions but this seems to be a little beyond my current skills. I have never written R-scripts before so if that is the right tool for this then I will need to do some studying up on that.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It seems to me that you could unpivot the date columns in power query. That would give you a date column and a time column. From there it should be easier

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

It seems to me that you could unpivot the date columns in power query. That would give you a date column and a time column. From there it should be easier

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.