Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

moizsherwani
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Count If Measure1 > Measure2

Hi guys,

I have two measures related to two distinct tables, so SALESACCUMULATIVE (running total of sales) to SALES and TARGETACCUMULATIVE (running total of target) to TARGET. I want give two points to the salesman if SALESACCUMULATIVE > TARGETACCUMULATIVE by month so this is what the table would look like

DATE - SALESACCUMULATIVE - TARGETACCUMULATIVE - POINTS

JAN         100                                    100                                2

FEB          150                                    200                               0

MAR         350                                   300                               2

TOTAL                                                                                     4

Thanks,

Moiz
Was I able to answer your question? Mark my post as a solution to help others. Kudos if you liked the solution.
9 REPLIES 9
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @moizsherwani,

So are you after the calcuation for your Points column?

If so it could be this :

points = if([SALESACCUMULATIVE] > [TARGETACCUMULATIVE] , 2 , 0 )

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

It does not work when I do that because these are running totals. What happens is that by the end it is comparing the total running target with the total sales whereas it should be adding the sum of each month

MONTH TARGET SALE POINTS

JAN             2         3        2                

FEB             4          4        0

MAR           6          7        2

ENDS UP AS

TOTAL         6          7        2

SHOULD BE                      4

Thanks,

Moiz
Was I able to answer your question? Mark my post as a solution to help others. Kudos if you liked the solution.

Hi @moizsherwani,

What is the formula you are using for the cumulative values?  You can probably use something like this for your POINTS column

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark also on the cumulative measure I am summing a column whereas here I am trying to sum a measure :(. any ideas?

Thanks,

Moiz

Hi @moizsherwani,

Sorry for the delayed response.  It's hard for me to tell where you have used pre-calculated data and where you are using measures and this makes a difference in the measure I would suggest.

Any chance you can strip out your PBIX file down to the bare minimum and share it with me so I can have a look.

Feel free to send the link via private message, but I will repond with any reply here 🙂

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark, sorry for the delayed response from my side this time. I may not be able to share the file at any level due to security reasons but the way I resolved this was using a supportive calculated column.

In my Target table I created a calculated column that would cumulatively sum the sales for each month from the SALES table and display them next to each month target

MonthSales = CALCULATE(

SUM(SALES[Amount]),
                                                  FILTER(

SALES,
                                                              SALES[OrderDate]<='TARGET'[TargetEndDate]&&
                                                             YEAR(SALES[OrderDate])=YEAR('TARGET'[TargetEndDate])
                                                              )
)

I then added a measure to my target table

Points = CALCULATE(
                          COUNT('TARGET'[TARGETId]),
                                                 FILTER('TARGET',
                                                'TARGET'[MonthSales]>'TARGET'[TargetAmount]
                                                            )
                                     ) * 2

This does the work for me, if you notice I multiplied the count by 2 which gives me the points, so the logic was that count all the target rows where the sales > goal. So the reason I shared this with you was to also get your thoughts on the solution and a better one if it exists, I have heard it is not good practice to add calculated columns so I try my best not to do so but this time I could not figure out another way.

Thanks,

Moiz

Hi @moizsherwani,

Well done and it looks good.  Calculated columns have their place and can be very useful, particularly if you want to lock a value to the row.  You'll just have to decide what works best for you in this case.

Its easy enough to convert across to a Measure if you need,. 

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I am using something along the lines of 

GoalTarget = CALCULATE(
                           SUM('Goal'[TargetMoney]),
                              FILTER('Goal',
                                  'Goal'[GoalStartDate]<LASTDATE(CommonDate[Date])+1&&
                                    year('Goal'[GoalStartDate])=YEAR(LASTDATE(CommonDate[Date])))
                                    )

So I tried this as well but I am not sure what to replace the SUM('Goal'[TargetMoney]) with? Something along the lines of For Each month where SalesAccumulative>TargetAccumulative,  x= x +2.

Thanks,

Moiz

I use something like 

GOALACCUMULATIVE = CALCULATE(
                                           SUM(GOALAMOUNT),
                                                            FILTER(GOAL
                                                             GOALSTARTDATE<LASTDATE(CommonDate[Date])&&
                                                             year(GOALSTARTDATE)=YEAR(LASTDATE(CommonDate[Date])))
)

I tried something similar but I don't know what to do with the SUM(GOALAMOUNT) in the above formula <-- how do I tell it to keep adding a 2 for every SALES>GOAL

Thanks,

Moiz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.