Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting to a Power BI Service dataset only allows one connection and we cannot remove it

The Power BI Desktop GetData functionality only allows us to connect to a single dataset in the Power BI Service. After connecting, all External data buttons in the Power BI Desktop are disabled. Even worse, there is no way to remove those Data connections.

This may be something that was introduced in the Masy release of Power BI Desktop as I don't remember this limitation being there in the April release, and the documentation makes no mention of this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

I just tested on both May and April 2017 version of Power BI Desktop, they have the same behaviour when getting data from Power BI Service. And in this document, the limitations are listed there.

• Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.

Connecting to a Power BI Service dataset only allows one connection and we cannot remove it_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

I just tested on both May and April 2017 version of Power BI Desktop, they have the same behaviour when getting data from Power BI Service. And in this document, the limitations are listed there.

• Since this is a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled, similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services.

Connecting to a Power BI Service dataset only allows one connection and we cannot remove it_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert 

just seeing the report view and not the data/modeling view would be the expected behavior - as stated, just like ssas

however, i am discussing with microsoft why there is not the ability to edit the connection - i.e. i point to a dev data model and i want to repoint to prod data model - there is no current way to do so

as well, if you remove the original data model, and reupload a model with the same name, it still does not work - seems to work based on the guid behind the scenes

powerdax.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.