Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gsmjlc
Regular Visitor

Compare daily data using excel data

Hi,

I am a complete newnie regarding Power BI so your help (and patience) is very much appreciated.

I have been tasked with creating a KPI dashboard and have played with this software and think it is great.  I can create roughly what I need but it is on a single date basis.  However the issue I now face is that my boss wants to track daily changes in events, sales, etc.

We are quite backwards in the data I can export and can only export excel files each day.  

Is there a way that I can build a report that will show these changes using only excel files?  I don't have any other kind of programming skills (Access/VBA/etc for example) so you are really dealing with a luddite here!

Thanks,

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @gsmjlc,

In my opinion, I think you can add a column which used to mark the added date, then use this column to analysis the increase percent.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gsmjlc,

According to your description, you want compare multiple excel file which has the same structure, right?

You can try to store these files to folder and use power bi get data from this folder.

For detail information about use power query to compare two table, you can refer to below blog:

Compare two tables or reports using Power Query

In addition, you can also use dax function to compare tables.

EXCEPT Function (DAX)

INTERSECT Function (DAX)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for the reply.

The columns will not alter but the rows will as more customers are added.  I can see how this would work on the occasional report to display the changes.  However I am looking to do this daily and so the combined excel sheet would become larger and larger after a month or two (I think).

Is there a way that if I drop the raw data for each day into a workbook, I can compare between each and report either numerical or % changes?

I appreciate that I may have got this completely wrong so your advice is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Hi @gsmjlc,

In my opinion, I think you can add a column which used to mark the added date, then use this column to analysis the increase percent.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.