Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asl10
Helper I
Helper I

Compare Feature Sales with Previous Year Feature Sales

Hi,

I would like to compare sales of reserved bookings (Hotel) for 2017 with reserved booking sales for the same period last year?

E.g. Based on Input Date of users 2016 i can see the figures for 2017. But based on input date of 2015 based on current date now i cannot see what was the result, in one graph side-by-side! I only managed to do it with two graphs and using 2 types of Year filters on each graph for 2016 and 2015. (Reserved Date and Input Date).

Can i make a DAX formula or something in order to have the 2 values side-by-side in one graph?

Capture.PNG

19 REPLIES 19
austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

A little trouble understanding what you're trying to do - here's the basics of calculating This Year vs. Last Year

Bookings (ThisYear) = SUM(Table[Bookings])
Bookings (LastYear) = CALCULATE( [Bookings (ThisYear)], DATEADD(Calendar[Date], -12, MONTH))

Let me know if this helps.

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Let me explain the business case:

For example asOf today, 23/12/16 (Input Date) I have xxxxx Total Revenue for 2017 based on Reservation Date.

For Last Year, asOf  23/12/15 (Input Date) what I had in Total Revenue for 2016 based on Reservation Date?

austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

A few more questions ...

1. Are the input date and reservation dates two separate fields in the model?

2. Looking into next year, when you choose 23/12/16 which reservation dates in the next year do you expect to see?

3. Same question.  Looking into last year, when you choose 23/12/16 which reservation dates in the last year do you expect to see?

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Hi to all and thank you for the thinking process...

I have a Calendar table that is based on the Reservation Date. All the revenue is based on the Reservation Date.

The revenue table has 2 date fields. Reservation and Input dates.

Business wise, looking into the next year asOf today the information is there, as reservations are coming in, I can look into the next year's revenue.

Looking into Last Year i must be able to filter this by Last Year's Input Date asOf 23/12/2015 and see what Revenue I had in 2016.

I can do this by having seperate graphs with seperate filters for Input Year. Graph 1 (Input Year <2017, Reservation Year 2017), Graph 2 (Input Year <2016, Reservation Year 2016).

Thus, I'm asking how I can combine this into one graph?

Thank you for your time.

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Share some sample data , i will help u to achieve your goal

Hi Baskar,

Thank you for your offer for help 🙂

For example you have the following table. You can construct and a calendar table based on the Reservation Date.

Input DateReservation DateRevenue
01/01/201502/02/2016250
10/05/201503/04/2016100
11/11/201510/12/2016300
27/12/201511/11/2016500
03/04/201610/10/2017100
05/10/201605/05/2017400
20/12/201623/12/2017585
23/12/201610/10/2017100

Thus the goal is to have a graph with 2 bars side-by-side were if you see the data asOf today 23/12/2016 you should see the details by month but total wise will be:

- asOf 23/12/2016 (Input Date)  -  Result is Reservation dates 2017 with total revenue=1185

- Based on the above asOf date the previous year (thus 23/12/2015) - Result is Reservation Dates 2016 with Revenue = 650

Thank you in advance.

Hi @asl10,

You can try to use below measures to calculate the previous value.

Current Value(Input Date) = 
var currDate=MAX(DateTable[Date])
Return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Input Date]>=DATE(YEAR(currDate),MONTH(currDate),1)&&Sheet1[Input Date]<=currDate),[Revenue]) 

Current Value(Reservation Date) = 
Return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Reservation Date]>=DATE(YEAR(currDate),MONTH(currDate),1)&&Sheet1[Reservation Date]<=currDate),[Revenue]) 

Previous Value(Input Date) = 
Return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Input Date]>=DATE(YEAR(currDate)-1,MONTH(currDate),1)&&Sheet1[Input Date]<=DATE(YEAR(currDate)-1,MONTH(currDate),DAY(currDate))),[Revenue]) 

Previous Value(Reservation Date) = 
Return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Reservation Date]>=DATE(YEAR(currDate)-1,MONTH(currDate),1)&&Sheet1[Reservation Date]<=DATE(YEAR(currDate)-1,MONTH(currDate),DAY(currDate))),[Revenue]) 

Result:

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thank you for your input. Your almost there...If you see the below pic my values get messed up regarding the totals. If you add them though the Current Value (reservation Date) is correct. The previous Values measures though bring the totals of the previous year and not the asOf Date amounts as per my initial post pictures when you have the data in 2 seperatetables or graphs.

Capture.PNG

Hi @asl10,

According to your screenshot, I modified my formula.(current, it calculate the value based on year and month)

Current Value(Input Date) = 
Return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Input Date].[Year]=YEAR(currDate)&&Sheet1[Input Date].[MonthNo]=MONTH(currDate)),[Revenue]) 

Current Value(Reservation Date) = 
Return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Reservation Date].[Year]=YEAR(currDate)&&Sheet1[Reservation Date].[MonthNo]=MONTH(currDate)),[Revenue]) 

Previous Value(Input Date) = 
Return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Input Date].[Year]=YEAR(currDate)-1&&Sheet1[Input Date].[MonthNo]=MONTH(currDate)),[Revenue]) 

Previous Value(Reservation Date) = 
Return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Sheet1),Sheet1[Reservation Date].[Year]=YEAR(currDate)-1&&Sheet1[Reservation Date].[MonthNo]=MONTH(currDate)),[Revenue]) 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft

Its wrong again. Below you will find a picture of a sample that i have done based on my data and show where i want to go:

The correct result is the 2 tables side by side.

How can i merge these 2 tables with a formula so as to not get the wrong result shown in the graph?

test.PNG

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @asl10

I forgot to mention that the SlicerTable should not be linked to anyother table it should be a stand alone one.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @CheenuSing,

Thank you for your input. Very innovative solution and almost there as with my real data the past value was showing all the total and not the specific total between the specific dates. Furthermore, this solution is limited for comparissons and decision making as i do not have the months and cannot filter accordingly to any other data. Currently i have this solution (see below pics) which the years are manually entered as a filter in the 2 graphs. I'm after the same thing but in the same graph, like when we have YTD and Last Year YTD side by side.

Capture4.PNGCapture5.PNG

I after somethin like this:

Capture6.PNG

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @asl10

Please provide sample of actual data and the final output you desire. I am sure we can find the solution.

The data you can share using one drive.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Dear @CheenuSing,

The actual data are the same principal as my sample data. Its the same with just more dates and revenue.

The final output im trying to achieve is like the last picture. To have the revenue side-by-side on a single graph based on the input date asOf today and input date asOf today Last Year.

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @asl10

I think I have found a solution for your problem.

The solution is creating a slicer table of Input Dates and do the computation and display.

The steps I did.

1. Created a calendar table as 

Calendar = Calendar(Min(Reservations[Reservation Date]),max(Reservations[Reservation Date]))

2. Created a year column in this table as Year = YEAR('Calendar'[Date])

3. Created relationship between Calendar Date and Reservations Date.

4. Created a Summarized Table as

SlicerTable = Summarize(Reservations,Reservations[Input Date])

5. Renamed the Input Date as SlicerInput

6. Created a slicer using SlicerInput.

7. Created a measure SumRevenue = sum([Revenue])

8. Created a measure 

FutureValue(Input Date) =
                    var FutureYear = Year(Values(SlicerTable[SliceInput]) )+1

Return
                    CALCULATE([SumRevenue],FILTER(Calendar,Calendar[Year]=FutureYear))

9. Created a measure

PastDate = Date( Year (Values(SlicerTable[SliceInput])) - 1, Month(Values(SlicerTable[SliceInput]))  

,Day(Values(SlicerTable[SliceInput]))) 

somehow Dateadd was not giving me the results so had to use the base coding

10. Created a measure 

PastValue(Input Date) =

CALCULATE([SumRevenue],

Filter (Reservations,[Input Date] <=[PastDate] )
                                                                          )

11. That is it.

12. Created a bar graph

Capture.GIF

It gives the result expected by you.

Couple of doubts I still have is will Reservation Date always point one year ahead of the Input Date ? If not then I need to burn some more calories to derive a wholesome solution.

If this works for you please accept it as a solution and also give KUDOS.  I am requesting other members also for the same.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi there,

From your table looks like you just need to calcualte YTD Revenue and here is what you can use for that:

YTD Sales = TOTALYTD(SUM(Sales[Revenue]),'Calendar-1'[Date])

I assumed you already have calendar table and linked to Sales Table on Input Date, make sure relationship is single as shown below.

Relationship.PNG

Results for two different dates

YTD1.PNGYTD2.PNG

Hope it is helpful, let me know if need further assistance.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi , thank you for the input.
If you see my initial post there is a picture where im able to do that with 2 seperate graphs as well.

My question was how to combine them into one! Maybe wth the help of some DAX formula or some other magic trick...

This will be your formula for previous year YTD

mYTD Previous Year = TOTALYTD(SUM(Sales[Revenue]),DATEADD('Calendar-1'[Date],-1, YEAR))

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

1. Bookings (ThisYear) = SUM(Table[Bookings])

2. Bookings (LastYear) = Calculate ( SUM(Table[Bookings]), SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Calendar[Date]))

let me know if it is not helping u 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.