Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

askelton
Resolver I
Resolver I

Combining 2 Consecutive Measures (Historical and Projected)

I have two measures that both work individually however I cannot seem to combine, or graph together.  

I have two tables, one with historical and one with projections.  

I was able to summarize the historical data into a weighted index using the following measure: 

HistoricalIndex = 100 * calculate(productx(Temp,1 + [HistoricalMeasure]),filter(all(temp),countrows(filter(Temp, earlier(Temp[DateFixed]) <= Temp[DateFixed]))))

Where Temp is a table made from the distinct values of monthly dates from our historical database, and HistoricalMeasure calculates a weighted % change MoM.  

This works well, as shown below.  (Test column is just calculate([Historical Index]) ) 

Index.PNG

Then I made a table and measure that picks up where the historical values left off, and shows our next 3 month projections.

ProjIndex = calculate([HistoricalIndex]) * calculate(productx(Temp2,1 + [ProjectionMeasure]),filter(all(Temp2),countrows(filter(Temp2, earlier(Temp2[DateFixed]) <= Temp2[DateFixed]))))

This does the same as the first measure, except it picks up where the historical data left off, with the same value for May.  

Capture.PNG

Now I would like to combine both of these in a graph, preferably as 2 lines as I would in excel, something like this: 

error 1.PNG

When I try to make a new date table with the distinct values between the two, and use that as an axis for the graph it doesn't seem to work out.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The issue was that when the second measure uses the first one as a baseline in a separate table (with dates not connected), it calculates the final value for the first date and then uses that constant as the base for the rest of the measure.  However, once you relate the dates to a table to combine them, I no longer get that final constant, and get a blank, as the first measure doesn't calculate as anything for the dates of the second measure.

I fixed this by keeping the historical measure as it was, and changing the projected measure to cover both the historical and projected portion.  Then putting the historical as the line on top on the graph, so the only visible portion of the projected line is the actual projections.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @askelton,

The table with the dates that you use for the axis need to be one for both tables so you have Temp1 and Temp2 should be only Temp and this.one related with both tables, since both have two measures with adjacent dates this would.give you the chart you are looling for when combining the 2 measures in one chart.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

@MFelix , 

Thanks for your response.  I have tried this and unfortunately It does not work.  

When I make a New Table that has all the dates between the two ranges (and relate those tables), use that as the axis, and plot the two measures this is what I get.  

error 1.PNG

If I plot either of them individually on the axis of their individual table it comes out fine.  But when I try to graph them on this index it does not work, and it doesn't even show the projection dates.

HI @askelton,

I made a sample of your data an tried the solution I gave you and as you can see the result is as expected, the only thing I cannot copy is the measures since I don't have the full layout of you setup, and did it with the values you placed in your images, however I believe that the result may be also achievable in your part.

Assumptions on my setup:

• 2 Tables - 1 Historical - 1 Projections
  • 1 Calendar - This is made from a combination of unique values from Date column of the two previous tables
  • Relationship One to Many
    • Calendar[DateFixed] (One) -> Historical[Date] (Many)
    • Calendar[DateFixed] (One) -> Projections[Date] (Many)
    • Don't make filter for both sides
  • Axis of chart is the Calendar[DateFixed] column
  • Both Measures are placed in the lines

Two_Lines.png

How do you have your calendar table made? How is it related with thew other tables?

I believe that you are getting this type of chart because of the way the calendar and the two other tables are related.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

The issue was that when the second measure uses the first one as a baseline in a separate table (with dates not connected), it calculates the final value for the first date and then uses that constant as the base for the rest of the measure.  However, once you relate the dates to a table to combine them, I no longer get that final constant, and get a blank, as the first measure doesn't calculate as anything for the dates of the second measure.

I fixed this by keeping the historical measure as it was, and changing the projected measure to cover both the historical and projected portion.  Then putting the historical as the line on top on the graph, so the only visible portion of the projected line is the actual projections.

'and changing the projected measure to cover both the historical and projected portion.'

PLease explain how you did that measure? I need as well such a dynamix measure including both - historical values up to yesterday - last historic valuw, and projected values up to the end of month - and it's replacing each day - when fact value appears.

how does the tables relate with the calendar table?

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @askelton,

Then you can use the USERRELATIONSHIP formula to make the calculation. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.