Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stej
Frequent Visitor

Combine CSV files without top N rows (~ IIS log files)

Hi, I tried to combine IIS log files into one data set, but still with no luck. The problem are comments like this at the beginning

#Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 8.5
#Version: 1.0
#Date: 2017-01-18 00:00:00
#Fields: date time s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port cs-username c-ip cs-version cs(User-Agent) cs(Cookie) cs(Referer) cs-host sc-status sc-substatus sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-bytes time-taken

When I click on "Combine Binaries", a dialog is opened and the engine tries to guess structure of the CSV file. This is fine. But when selecting "space", it takes the first row "#Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 8.5" and makes a guess there are only 6 columns.

There are much more columns in the IIS files of course. But I can't workaround this feature. 

In ideal world I would need to

1. skip first 3 rows
  2. - take line "#Fields: date time s-sitename s-computername s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port cs-username c-ip cs-version cs(User-Agent) cs(Cookie) cs(Referer) cs-host sc-status sc-substatus sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-bytes time-taken"
    1.    - strip #Fields"
    2.    - use the remaining items to as column names
  3.  - do it for every file

The combine itself is described here https://sharepointmike.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/loading-and-combining-multiple-csv-files-in-power-bi... but the rest. Any help is really appreciated.. as well as pointers to doc, forums or whatever. I tried to search how to analyze log files in Power BI but with no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

The text file column detection doesnt help in this scenario.  I would set the delimiter to Tab get a single column of text.  Then you can use Remove Rows, Split Column, filters and Use First Row as Headers to get to what you want.  

You can make those changes in the generated "Transform Sample Binary from ..." Query.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

The text file column detection doesnt help in this scenario.  I would set the delimiter to Tab get a single column of text.  Then you can use Remove Rows, Split Column, filters and Use First Row as Headers to get to what you want.  

You can make those changes in the generated "Transform Sample Binary from ..." Query.

@mike_honey that would probably work (although I didn't try it). I'll mark as accepted, because there is probably currently no better solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.