Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PHDurand
Helper I
Helper I

Column Chart showing all months

Hello PBI Community,

I hope someone would be able to help me with my issue.

I have date slicer in my report allowing to choose a specific month/year combination (ex: April 2017). In the report I mainly show monthly or YTD numbers with no issue.

My problem is I would like to put a column chart in the report that shows all the months for the year in the slicer. Currently if I keep the interaction between my slicer and my column chart, only the current month is shown. But if I remove the interaction, I have all the months but for all the years (not only current one) and I need to put a "hard" filter in the visual to filter on current year. But if I do so this filter will still exist if I change the year in my slicer.

To give you an example (and see below picture) what I would like is showing all the months of 2017 if the slicer is on a month of 2017. But if the slicer is on a month of 2016, then the visual should show all the months of 2016 (or 2015,...) without havin to change anything but the slicer box.

message.JPG

Does anyone has a solution ? That would be very helpful (and also help be learn a bit more how to use/play with PBI).

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@PHDurand

You can use two build-in slicers instead of the custom visual HierarchySlicer. One for year and one for month. Edit year slicer so that it can only filter the column chart but not month slicer, please refer to the first screenshot. Edit month slicer so that it cannot filter the column chart and year slicer, please refer to the second screenshot.

Column Chart showing all months_1.jpgColumn Chart showing all months_2.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@PHDurand

You can use two build-in slicers instead of the custom visual HierarchySlicer. One for year and one for month. Edit year slicer so that it can only filter the column chart but not month slicer, please refer to the first screenshot. Edit month slicer so that it cannot filter the column chart and year slicer, please refer to the second screenshot.

Column Chart showing all months_1.jpgColumn Chart showing all months_2.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Thanks it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.