Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

runski
Frequent Visitor

Chart visual contains not a number (NaN) values

Hi.

I have an error message in one of my charts. It says the chart contains NaN values and it will not interact properly. I can't click on a bar and filter other visuals on the same page for instance. Any idea on how I can resolve this or identify the data being recognized as invalid?

Format of dimension on axis is text, format of measure is decimal.

Snap_2016.05.27_09h50m39s_015_.jpg

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

try duplicating the report, then change the visualisation to a matrix.  You could also put the visualisation into full screen, then click on "show Data".  This will show you the underlying data.  Chances are you have a divide by zero error I guess.  Are you using the DIVIDE funciton instead of /

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi, Matt.

Thanks for the quick response and the great suggestions on how to view the underlying data.

I changed into a matrix, and can't see nothing but "normal" numbers in the grid. The measure is just a SUM(Table[column]) calculation. So the divide by zero error can't be in there.

Mmmmm, sum(table[column]). So what is in the column?  Can you check the column for maybe blanks?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

So, in the column there is numbers, from 0 to 1250. I can't see any blanks or null values.

@runski

NaN (not a number) will be shown in following conditions. You can check whether they exist in your measures.

0 / BLANK () = NaN

0 / 0 = NaN

Infinity / Infinity = NaN (e.g. (10 / 0) / (7 / 0))

For troubleshooting, you can create another measure ISERROR() function to check which value is NaN value. For example, if ISERROR(SUM(Table[column])) returns "True", it means SUM(Table[column]) returns an error(e.g. NaN value).

If you still can’t find the issue, please provide share sample data or .pbix if possible.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.