Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

avelio
Helper II
Helper II

Chaotic ordering of MonthYear in a chart when displaying last 12months values

Dears,

I'm facing a rather simple issue but i've gone at this every way that crossed my mind and haven't been able to fix it.

I'm using a line chart in order to display values chronologically. My date slicer is set to always display the last 12 months.

When doing this, the X axis is arranging my Month Year values wrongly and i don't know on which criteria should my 'Sort by column' be based on.

The only thing that comes to my mind is to have Month Number = 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12 and when i create my MonthYear column it should be fine since it would be arranged from small to big as a value.

Any tips on how to display Month Number as '01,02,03...10,11,12' instead of '1,2,3....10,11,12'? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @avelio,

Please use YearMonthNo = FORMAT([Date],"yyyyMM") instead of YearMonthNo = FORMAT([Date],"yyyyMMM").

MMM means name of month with three initials.

Let me know if still it doesn't work.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
rajulshah
Super User
Super User

Hello @avelio,

You can use column generated by the following formula for "Sort By Column":

YearMonthNo = FORMAT([Date],"yyyyMM")

Please let me know if this is not what you want.

Regards.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Tried it, doesn't seem to work

Probably because 2017Apr is alphabetically lower than 2017Feb for example..

Print screen below:

Capture.JPG

Hello @avelio,

You will have the following values in the calculated column by the above mentioned DAX formula.

YearMonthNo.PNG

And you can then Sort the column which you are plotting in the visual by this calculated column using "Sort By Column" option.

Please revert if this doesn't work because it works perfectly fine in my report file.

Sortbymonthyear.PNG

Hello,

Highly appreciate your time helping me.

I have the above formula ( YearMonthNo = FORMAT([Date],"yyyyMMM") ) but for some reason it looks like this and i have no idea why.

I get the principle and for sure it would work if the formula would return what you showed in your prinscreen. It seems that "yyyyMMM" for me means 2017apr/2017aug and i have no idea why.

What's your input on this?

Capture.JPG

Hello @avelio,

Please use YearMonthNo = FORMAT([Date],"yyyyMM") instead of YearMonthNo = FORMAT([Date],"yyyyMMM").

MMM means name of month with three initials.

Let me know if still it doesn't work.

You're absolutely right, i'm so dumb.

Thanks so much for your time. 

XO

avelio
Helper II
Helper II

Here's a picture of how my data is arranged atm. It shoul be Jan 2017, Feb 2017, March 2017.... Jan 2018 , Feb 2018Here's a picture of how my data is arranged atm. It shoul be Jan 2017, Feb 2017, March 2017.... Jan 2018 , Feb 2018

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.