Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

NuTek
Frequent Visitor

Changing datasource when using Power BI Live Service dataset

Our Power BI environment has a DEV group and Prod group. Users run their reports from Prod, and

developers create reports in the Dev group and then use the File->Options and Settings->Data source settings to

change the report to point to the Prod database, save the  report and then publish to the Prod group.  This has been working fine.

We are now trying to build reports using a single Power BI Live Service dataset functionality.  We have the same dataset

defined in Prod and DEV groups (each being refreshed via the Gateway from the Prod or Dev databases).  

We created a report using the DEV dataset under the DEV group.  We now want to publish that report to the Prod group,

but it will not let us. It will only let us publish to the group where the underlying dataset was originally from.  I tried to

use the "File->Options and Settings->Data source settings" to see if I could change the source of the underlying dataset, but that function is greyed out.

How can I publish my report to the Prod group and ensure it is using the Prod instance of the dataset?

I do not want to have to recreate the entire report as that seems error prone.

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try this. Create a new PBIX that connects to your prod system. Copy the PBIX to a .zip file. Open the zip file and copy the Connections file. Copy the dev PBIX file to a zip file. Replace Connections file with the copied one. Copy this PBIX back to a PBIX with a different name for prod. Might work.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Tried doing this but I get an error message when I tru to open the newly created PBIX file.

"Test.pbix is corrupt ot an invalid report file".   Perhaps there are checksums that no longer match

once I replace the Connection file?  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.