Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

albertgarri
Frequent Visitor

Changing column graph displayed value

Hi everyone! 

I'm pretty new to power bi world, so my question might be obvious for most of you. 

My goal is to create an element similar to the one with the red box, that you can see on the following picture. But I don't know how should I do it. 

Question.png

My idea is that this "element" allow me to switch the value displayed on the colum graph. Thus, when someone clicks the price per unit box the graph will show "Price per unit" per "Food" data. 

My first guess was to use the slicer element, as I have done with the "Year" variable. However, the result obtained is not what I want. 

On next picture you can see the dataset I'm using (it's just a simple example of my real data). 

Question2.png

Thank you very much for your support 🙂

Albert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @albertgarri,

I am sorry for inconvenience, I misunderstand your idea in above reply. The solution above is to create a new table using formula. While in this solution, please click the Enter Date, you will get the create table window, please type the values, you can rename the table name in highlighted background section. Click OK  you get Table4.

1.PNG

2.PNG

In the DAX formula, "Expected Value" is the measure name. Please right click your table->New measure, type the following statement is over-all.

Expected Value = 
IF(HASONEVALUE( Table3[Value]),
 SWITCH(VALUES( Table3[Value]),
 "Amount", SUM( Table4[Amount] ),
 "Amount spent", SUM( Table4[Amount spend] ),
 "Price per unit", SUM( Table4[Price per Unit] )
 ), "Please select only one value to display")

In your scenario, please replace Table3 name using your actual table name. Table4 is the new table name. Please replace it using your table name.

If you have any other issue, please let me know

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Cool .

1. Create one Table with that three columns like 

1. Amount

2. Unit price like ect.

2. Have to create one measure based on that selection on filter , pls look that image 

1.JPG

let me know if it is not helping u dude.

Hi @albertgarri,

Just as the @BetterCallFrank posted, his point is right. But miss a comma in his measure. I try to reproduce and get expected result.

Create a new table including the three column header name.  I name it Table3 shown in screenshot below.

1.PNG

Expected Value = 

Then create clustered column chart, select the Food field as Axis, select the "Expected Value" as value level, you will get the right result. Please see the fisrt picture, when you select "Amount", it will display all the value of different food. While when clicks the "Price per unit" box , the graph will show "Price per unit" per "Food" data shown in the second picture.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

If you have any other problem, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thank you very much for all your fast responses. I'm pretty sure this would have solved a more advanced user problem. 
However, I'm still very new with power BI and I do not dominate some of the basic tools.

I've tried to follow your instructions but I got stuck at the 1st step. I don't know how to create the table with the three column header name. Can you give me some indications?  

Again, thank you so much for the help 🙂 

@BetterCallFrank
@Baskar
@v-huizhn-msft

Hi @albertgarri,

In your PowerBI desktop interface, click New Table(highlighted in red line) under Modeling window, you will get the second screenshot, please type the code in the location where cursor blinks(highlighted in yellow background).

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

If you have any problem, please feel to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

Thank you againg for your help 🙂

However, I haven't been able yet to success on my attempt. 

These have been my steps and my result (on the picture below): 
1) Click New Table

2) Writting : 

Table 4 = Expected Value =
IF(HASONEVALUE( Table3[Value]);
SWITCH(VALUES( Table3[Value]);
"Amount"; SUM( Table4[Amount] );
"Amount spent"; SUM( Table4[Amount spend] );
"Price per unit"; SUM( Table4[Price per Unit] )
); "Please select only one value to display")

3) I got the syntax error

pict 1 (1).png

Reading the previous messages I believe that my problem is that I do not know how to create the 3 column header name (table 3) (see, the squared area on the following pict). 

pict 2.png

Thank you so much! 

Hi @albertgarri,

I am sorry for inconvenience, I misunderstand your idea in above reply. The solution above is to create a new table using formula. While in this solution, please click the Enter Date, you will get the create table window, please type the values, you can rename the table name in highlighted background section. Click OK  you get Table4.

1.PNG

2.PNG

In the DAX formula, "Expected Value" is the measure name. Please right click your table->New measure, type the following statement is over-all.

Expected Value = 

In your scenario, please replace Table3 name using your actual table name. Table4 is the new table name. Please replace it using your table name.

If you have any other issue, please let me know

Best Regards,
Angelia

Does this work only for one table at a time? I tried plugging different variables from different tables and it stopped working.

Thank you very much! 

I've been able to make it work! Really appreciatte all your help! 🙂

BetterCallFrank
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @albertgarri

what you describe is possible, however not the most easy beginner topic 😉

here's what needs to be done:

1. create helper table without relationship with 1 col, 3 rows

Value

----

Amount

Amount Spent

Price per Unit

2. create a measure in your table1 e.g.

DisplayValue =
IF(HASONEVALUE( 'Value'[Value])
  SWITCH(VALUES( 'Value'[Value] ),
    "Amount", SUM( Table1[Amount] ),
    "Amount Spent", SUM( Table1[Amount Spent] ),
    "Price per Unit", SUM( Table1[Price per Unit] )

something similar will do the trick for you.

3) pull new measure "DisplayValue" into your visual intead of "Amount" etc.

HTH,

Frank

Hi,

I followed all the steps and got everything correct. However, i want to get more information and I would like to have some MoM%, average, and other kind of calculations for all these measures. I have tried to do it using time intelligence in quick measure, but these seem not to work.

Could you please help me to make some calculations with this "macro" measure?

Regards,
IC

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.