Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change the way Measures are displayed

Hi there,

I have a set of raw data i've imported from excel into PowerBI and am presenting in a report with slicers, and i've also included several measures which are calculations based on the raw data. They have automatically appeared as columns and I want them as rows. I also want to group the measures so that they total separately - does that make sense? 

So within the window that I have dragged my measures into (appearing as a matrix) I still want them in the same window if possible - but I want a row of three, then the total (which is automatically calculated) then another three and the total of those. I don't want all six together without a break, and a big total at the bottom. 

Any ideas? (i'm new to PowerBI)

Jemma

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, you will need to use the disconnected table trick for this. You use the single column in your disconnected table as the row element and then the correlated measure as the value. I've done this with matrix visuals as far back as the October 2017 version and it works. See my article about disconnected table trick here:

In general, to use a measure in that way, you need to use the Disconnected Table Trick as this article demonstrates: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Solving-Attendance-with-the-Disconnected-Table-Trick...

Same principal as that. Also, I attached a recent PBIX file I used to solve another issue that shows this in a matrix:

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, you will need to use the disconnected table trick for this. You use the single column in your disconnected table as the row element and then the correlated measure as the value. I've done this with matrix visuals as far back as the October 2017 version and it works. See my article about disconnected table trick here:

In general, to use a measure in that way, you need to use the Disconnected Table Trick as this article demonstrates: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Solving-Attendance-with-the-Disconnected-Table-Trick...

Same principal as that. Also, I attached a recent PBIX file I used to solve another issue that shows this in a matrix:

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.