Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

miltenburger
Helper V
Helper V

Career growth path

Hi all,

For my internship i've been asked to show some HR information in a Power BI dashboard.

One of the assignments is to show a 'career path', an example of this:

An employee has several knowledges (Azure, SQl etc.) and got some competences (leader, teamwork etc.), now he is fulfilling the role as System Engineer 1st line.

But in the future he wants to be a System engineer 2nd line, to become a 2nd line s.e. he needs other competences and knowledges.

You guys gut any ideas how to show this in a graph? Hope i made my example clear enough, thanks for helping.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @miltenburger,

I used below sample to test. I renamed some field names in order to distinguish.

1.PNG2.PNG

Create a calculated table.

New table_1 = CROSSJOIN(VALUES('Employee Knowledge'[Employee]),'Function Knowledge')

3.PNG

Based on 'New table_1' and 'Employee Knowledge', filter out those unmatched records which shows knowledges an employee have to learn to become a 3rd line.

New table_2 =
EXCEPT (
    SELECTCOLUMNS (
        'New table_1',
        "EmployeeNo2", 'New table_1'[Employee],
        "Knowledge2", 'New table_1'[Knowledge2]
    ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS (
        'Employee Knowledge',
        "EmployeeNo", 'Employee Knowledge'[Employee],
        "Knowledge1", 'Employee Knowledge'[Knowledge1]
    )
)

4.PNG

I would suggest you use a table visual to display above information. A chart cannot show knowledge details, while it can show how many knowledge an employee need to learn in the future.

5.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
miltenburger
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks for trying to help me out @v-yulgu-msft,

My description was far from clear, so i made some images and dummy data.

This is my datamodel (competences = competenties, knowledges = kennisgebieden) It's in Dutch sorry...

ERD.jpg

For example i have the following data
knowl..png

The 2 tables on the left show the current knowledges and competences of Employee 1 in his current function System engineer 1st line,

The table on the right shows the knowledges someone need to be a System engineer 3rd line.

What i wnat for output is a graph which show me some kind a growing path, so wat knowledges needs the employee to learn to become a 3rd line s.e., the fact is i don't know how to show this in a graph

I hope it made it more clear now? 

Hi @miltenburger,

I used below sample to test. I renamed some field names in order to distinguish.

1.PNG2.PNG

Create a calculated table.

New table_1 = CROSSJOIN(VALUES('Employee Knowledge'[Employee]),'Function Knowledge')

3.PNG

Based on 'New table_1' and 'Employee Knowledge', filter out those unmatched records which shows knowledges an employee have to learn to become a 3rd line.

New table_2 =
EXCEPT (
    SELECTCOLUMNS (
        'New table_1',
        "EmployeeNo2", 'New table_1'[Employee],
        "Knowledge2", 'New table_1'[Knowledge2]
    ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS (
        'Employee Knowledge',
        "EmployeeNo", 'Employee Knowledge'[Employee],
        "Knowledge1", 'Employee Knowledge'[Knowledge1]
    )
)

4.PNG

I would suggest you use a table visual to display above information. A chart cannot show knowledge details, while it can show how many knowledge an employee need to learn in the future.

5.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yulgu-msft,

I didn't think about that in this way, i think i can work around with this!

Thanks for the assist.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @miltenburger,

What is data model? Please provide detailed sample data. What is your desired output? Please provide more description about your report. If possible, use an image to illustrate your requirement.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.