Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EmirSc
Frequent Visitor

Cant Click on Ribbon Options

Hi,

Canti click on the options vía ribbon menu, its not freezed because i can scroll through the options (Home - View - Modeling - Help) with the scrool weel, i can click on the left side options (Report - Data - Relationships), graphics and tablets but click just doesnt work on the options.

Tried:

Reinstalling from installer .exe

Reinstalling from Microsoft Store

Several Reboot

Run Power Bi as admin

i managed to randomly "unlock" the ribbon and changed the language to english, restarted and same thing. 

Also this happens if i just open a blank power bi instance or a project

thanks

-Emir.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
montydrei
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is happening to me, too, on PowerBI Desktop version 2.58.5103.501 64-bit (May 2018). A workaround that works for me is to minimize the ribbon and then expand the ribbon again. You can do this by toggling the option shown in the following screenshot:

Minimize ribbon option

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Jonni101
Regular Visitor

Managed to find a relatively consistent fix to this. (In my experience, at least)

Use the Fields pane to refresh the data (right-click on a query and select 'Refresh Data').

Once the refresh is complete, the ribbon should be functional again.

thomsontam
Frequent Visitor

Same issue on 

Version: 2.75.5649.761 64-bit (November 2019)

Waldeck

Same issue here... does only happen with some files, not all of my files.. could that be part of the issue? is there a way you can error check a file?

This happens to me as well. I run into this once a day or so across multiple .pbix files...

Doodle
Advocate II
Advocate II

This happens frequently to me as well. Usually after I work in Power Query then apply changes. As mentioned in earlier comments, the quick access save button above the ribbon works but I still get scared everytime.

I check back to this thread every now and then hoping for a solution. Happily, I did try to re-size the window as mentioned earlier and that did work for me this time.  Don't know how consistent this workaround will be.

Hope we get a real solution at some point. It really sucks to sit and not be able to do anything for 5+ minutes while I wait for the ribbon to come back.

This thread should not be marked as solved!!

Try this as a workaround:

- doubleclick on for example the "Home"-Menu -> Ribbon Menu minimizes

- doubleclick again the "Home"-Menu -> Ribbon Menu maximizes

This works for me...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been running into this issue for quite a while now. I'm running Power BI Desktop through the App store so my version is always the latest.

I've found that if I wait a minute or so I can interact with the ribbon. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason behind this so I can never recreate it. I get the feeling Power BI is processing "something" and once it's done, the ribbon can be interacted with.

Sometimes resizing the window helps but sometimes it doesn't. 

danextian
Super User
Super User

It seems to be a bug. I've encountered this before several times. Fortunately, the icons above the ribbon were still clickable and Ctrl + S still worked and I could save my file. After saving though, the ribbon becomes clickable again.  It's hard to reproduce this when it happens randomly. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.
montydrei
Advocate I
Advocate I

This is happening to me, too, on PowerBI Desktop version 2.58.5103.501 64-bit (May 2018). A workaround that works for me is to minimize the ribbon and then expand the ribbon again. You can do this by toggling the option shown in the following screenshot:

Minimize ribbon option

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still an issue with the latest version on 03/26/2019

same here with this version:

2.69.5467.2151 64-bit (Mai 2019)

thanks montydrei, temporal fix i guess but it works, had to reinstall power bi because i moved the quick acces toolbar to the botom of the ribbon and coulnt click on it either

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi EmirSc,

I have made a test on your issue but I can't reproduce it. Which version of power bi have you installed? Please check if your power bi desktop has been updated to the lastest version. In addtion, my power bi desktop version in like below:

1.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

v-yuta-msft,

my power bi ver. is: Version: 2.58.5103.501 64-bit (mayo de 2018), seems like the same as you have.

try to install from store and .exe see what happens

cheers.

It s a bug. I have the same version with the same problem.

Hopefully Microsoft is aware about it and it will be soon corrected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.