Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jessicachen
Frequent Visitor

Cannot access file network location

I am unable to open a file in a network location. I get the error "Unable to Open Document : Access to <file location> is denied". However I am able to access other filetypes in the location. I'm also able to copy the file locally and open it from there.

If this pbix file was not going to change I would be fine with just creating a copy on my local desktop, but the issue is that it is still being edited and so the only way this would work is if I just keep creating copies every day as the person working on it is editing it and as I'm consuming it.

7 REPLIES 7
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jessicachen,

The same .pbix can't be opened and edited at the same time by different users. From the error message, it seems the issue is related to permission. As this report is modified frequently, I would suggest you let the report author publish the report to Power BI service, then share the report with you via How should I share dashboards, reports, and tiles?.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

As I've said I don't believe it's a permission issue as I'm able to open other files in the same location. Regarding your statement "The same .pbix can't be opened and edited at the same time by different users.", does that apply if I'm not editing it? Just in general, I can't open a file that's already opened elsewhere? That should probably be a different error code rather than a "You don't have permission" type error.

Is there a way to open a read only version without requiring me to manually redownload a copy locally every time?

Additionally, waiting for the author to finish/publish does not seem to be in the spirit of incremental progress.

Any news about this?

I am having the very same problem.

Best,

Eduardo

I think it's the statement "The same .pbix can't be opened and edited at the same time by different users." I was never exactly sure because I can't check across my organization and ask who has the file open. So in that sense I just gave up and made a local copy.

I have tested with 2 pcs and this was not the case. Although the file was totally closed it couldnt be opened. Problem with local copy is that in the moment you refresh the data if the data source is in a shared folder you'll have an error. I am going to make further experiments..

thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue. Has anyone found a way around this yet? 

Hi,

To access the file include file name and format . e.g Lets say you want to access the Test excel file "test.xlsx".

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.