Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hermesgoddess
Frequent Visitor

Cannot Publish to Workspace - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I have a working *.pbix doc that I publish to a Team Workspace on my Office 365 Business account. I had updated & re-published this file last just 3 days ago without any issues. Today, I get an error: Untitled picture.png

I have tried other solutions I found on this forum without any success... I tied Publishing from the Ribbon, Publishing from File->Publish, Loging out of my tenant and logging back in. But I still get this error. I am at a loss for any other solutions.

This particular set of reports is shared with a client who also has Power BI - normally it is refreshed and published on a daily basis.

I am currently working on Power BI Pro Trial. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I played around a bit more. I removed the file in the WorkSpace and re-published it fresh to the specific WorkSpace and all has been working fine now. I think what may have caused the issue in the first place was that the file was first published to just my Generic WorkSpace and I had moved it to the appropriate Client WorkSpace. I think it just majorly confused everything. But I am all fixed now. Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hermesgoddess,

Since I'm not clear for your scenario, I'd like to confirm some extra informations to know more about this.

1. Power bi version.

Can you reproduce this issue on last version of power bi?

2. Team workspace type. Security group or other ?

3. Datasource type. local or online?

4. Connect mode. (get data from connector or import workbook.

If you use get data from connector, which mode you choose, import mode or live mode ?

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I am on the most recent update of BI (July update) on the Pro Trial. I did not have this issue on the last version of BI; and I did not have an issue the first time I had published on this version of BI (I had recently updated, but had successfully published at least once after the update). Since I had not done anything different to my knowledge from the last time I published, I don't even know where to start to try to reproduce the issue.

The Workspace is a team workspace. I am unclear of your question regarding Security Group or other??

The datasource is still currently local (though it will change to be the Team Workspace once I find the time to actually make that migration).

I am also unsure of the connect mode question. I am having issues publishing the report, not pulling the data. The data all pulls perfectly. I connect the report to folder sources locally, which I then manually refresh when I open BI for Desktop. The refresh ran smoothly without error.

I hope the answers above help. There were some questions you asked that I am not sure of.

Hi @hermesgoddess,

Since I still can't reproduce your issue on my side and can't find any effective solutions to solve it.

I'd like to recommend you submit a support ticket and trace the operation logs as attachment to send to power bi team.

Fiddler

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I played around a bit more. I removed the file in the WorkSpace and re-published it fresh to the specific WorkSpace and all has been working fine now. I think what may have caused the issue in the first place was that the file was first published to just my Generic WorkSpace and I had moved it to the appropriate Client WorkSpace. I think it just majorly confused everything. But I am all fixed now. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.