Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matjo
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can you merge delimiters when importing a delimiter separated file

I have a tab seperated file that is huge but during the export there has been a number of errors where extra tabs have 

been added as delimiters. Is there some setting that allows you to merge delimiters to handle cases where one row might have two

tabs? 

Cheers,
Mattias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

OK, you're right. That may not be too obvious, so I'll explain in this video:

Code created during video recording:

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Marcel\Documents\Forum bijdragen\Power BI Community\CSV files with duplicate tabs.txt"),1,{0},null,1252),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{},each TextLTMTrim(_, "#(tab)")),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(tab)", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", type text}, {"Column1.2", type text}, {"Column1.3", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type1", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"Other Data", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type2"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

There is no standard function but you can use the following function in Power Query, that will remove all leading, trailing and duplicate TrimStrings from a String:

(String as text, TrimString as text) as text => Text.Combine(List.Select(Text.Split(String,TrimString), each _ <> ""),TrimString)

Example: if you call the function TextLTMTrim, then

= TextLTMTrim("aabaacaadaaeaaa", "a")

returns:

bacadae

In order to remove leading, trailing and duplicate tabs, you can enter "#(tab)" as 2nd parameter.

Ok, that is exactly what I need but I do not fully understand how I add this function to my query. 
Where do I define the function?
How do I apply the function to the rows of the file that I am importing?

Much appreciated, 
Mattias

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

OK, you're right. That may not be too obvious, so I'll explain in this video:

Code created during video recording:

let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\Marcel\Documents\Forum bijdragen\Power BI Community\CSV files with duplicate tabs.txt"),1,{0},null,1252),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}}),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type",{},each TextLTMTrim(_, "#(tab)")),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Column1", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(tab)", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Column1.1", "Column1.2", "Column1.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Column1.1", type text}, {"Column1.2", type text}, {"Column1.3", type text}}),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Changed Type1", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"ID", Int64.Type}, {"Name", type text}, {"Other Data", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type2"

Thanks a lot! 

I really appreciate the time you put in to helping me. 

Best regards,
Mattias

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.