Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkCalvert
Regular Visitor

Calulating a remining budget

Hello, 

I'm wanting to calucate a remaining budget figure to show on the report. 

Data

Budgets - each code has a budget on this sheet

Timesheet bookings - all the bookings (with  actual costs)  are made to this sheet and can be identified with a code

In the report I have a total budget and a total spend, I'm wanting to show the remaining budget (Budget - acutals)

My thoughts are that I need a new measure in the budgets data sheet which sums up all the actual costs based on the code allocated, unless there is a quicker and better way to do this?

Budgets Sheet

Code - Budget

IF01 - £1,250

IF02 - £900

IF03 - £600

Bookings Sheet

Name- Code - Amount

Bob - IF01 - £300

Steve - IF02 - £200

Steve - IF01 - £50

Henry - IF03 - £300

Henry - IF02 - £150

Bob - IF02 - £200 

Remaining.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

hello @MarkCalvert,

I've been struggling with a similar type issue. In saying that, I am not exactly sure how you're going to present your figures in your report. My presumption is that when you subtract Actuals from Budget you end up with something like:

1.PNG

Where the Budget per Code is repeated and the math just doesn't make sense in the nested row context. 

From my understanding this is a grainularity issue, meaning the budget is only allocated at Code not by Name.

You can modify the formula's to acheive a visual that only shows the values when they make sense (the grainularity they were meant for) or you can re-allocate the budget based on the name dynamically (which is where I'm finding my struggle):

2.PNG

Budget Amount =
IF(
    ISFILTERED(Bookings[Name]),
    BLANK(),
    SUM(Budgets[Budget])
) 
Budget - Actual = 
IF(
    BLANK(),
    [Budget Amount] - Bookings[Bookings Amount]
)

Budgeting Technique that I watched https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/budgeting-with-power-bi-pass-austria/ which you may find helpful.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

The coding there doesnt seem to work, but I did try

Spend per code = CALCULATE(SUM('PMD Data'[Amount]))

(PMD Data[amount] being the name and it worked a treat. 

Thank you most kindly for the help, pointed me in the right direction

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

hello @MarkCalvert,

I've been struggling with a similar type issue. In saying that, I am not exactly sure how you're going to present your figures in your report. My presumption is that when you subtract Actuals from Budget you end up with something like:

1.PNG

Where the Budget per Code is repeated and the math just doesn't make sense in the nested row context. 

From my understanding this is a grainularity issue, meaning the budget is only allocated at Code not by Name.

You can modify the formula's to acheive a visual that only shows the values when they make sense (the grainularity they were meant for) or you can re-allocate the budget based on the name dynamically (which is where I'm finding my struggle):

2.PNG

Budget Amount =
IF(
    BLANK(),
    SUM(Budgets[Budget])
) 
Budget - Actual = 
IF(
    BLANK(),
    [Budget Amount] - Bookings[Bookings Amount]
)

Budgeting Technique that I watched https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/budgeting-with-power-bi-pass-austria/ which you may find helpful.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

I've attached what one data table looks like, and I'd like to add the actuals from the bookings, it's easy to do in the report view and I suspect it's easy but I'm being a bit thick here. 

Report1.JPG

@MarkCalvert,

Here's a calculated column that may work for you.

actualSpend = CALCULATE(Bookings[Bookings Amount], FILTER(Bookings,Bookings[Code] = Budgets[Code]))

The coding there doesnt seem to work, but I did try

Spend per code = CALCULATE(SUM('PMD Data'[Amount]))

(PMD Data[amount] being the name and it worked a treat. 

Thank you most kindly for the help, pointed me in the right direction

Ah, yes, in my code 

Bookings Amount = SUM(Bookings[Amount])

as a measure. I used the measure as the argument.

actualSpend =
CALCULATE(
Bookings[Bookings Amount],
FILTER(Bookings,Bookings[Code] = Budgets[Code])
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.