Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pade
Advocate III
Advocate III

Calculating the number of products types that are sold in all month during a period (e.g. 6 month)

Best Community: I have a newbe problem. I hope the solution would help me understand the DAX Iteration and Filter concept better

The goal is to calculate how many products types that has been sold. I have a 'TransactionTable' with [Dates] and [SoldProducts]Quite easy, I only need to do a DistinctCount on [SoldProducts].

But I shall only calculate the products that has been sold in every month, if the product was not sold in Mars-2016, the product shall not be listed at all (within the period specified below...) 

To make it a bit harder, the calculation shall be done during an observation window of e.g. 6 months back in time. For this I have been figuring out I will use DATESINPERIOD to limit the transaction table: DATESINPERIOD('TransactionTable'[Date];LASTDATE('TransactionTable'[Date]);-6;MONTH)

The outcome shall be able to be sliced in date periods to be able to show in a pivot table of bar graph over time

Any suggestions how to put things togheter

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pade,

Could you please mark the proper answer if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pade

We could create a “Date” Table first. It’s a good practice to use date intelligence functions with a “Date” table. Then, there are two measure can give us the result.

Measure = DISTINCTCOUNT(TransactionTable[Product])
Measure 2 =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( TransactionTable[Product] ),
    DATESINPERIOD ( 'Date'[Date], LASTDATE ( 'Date'[Date] ), -6, MONTH )
)

You can try it with this PBIX file : https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTqPk2pu-Bkbo6_-RUlMADiu4E

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-jiascu-msft.

But this formula only gives me the number of distinct ProductTypes during a period of 6 month. What I need is a count of all ProductTypes that has been sold within every 6 month in the period. I.E. It must have been sold in both Sep-16, Oct-16, Nov-16, Dec-16, Jan-17, Feb-17 to be able to show up in the Feb-17 statistics

I understand my description might have been a bit unclear on that

And also thanks for creating a very suitable example-file

Hi @pade,

Sounds to me like you would need to count the number of rows in a "product-Month" table and if = 6, then you would count the product as sold. Are you able to share your PBIX file as it is always easier for me if I can create the calcs with the correct data set.

Thanks,

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

Dales file https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArTqPk2pu-Bkbo6_-RUlMADiu4E works perfectly as a base for this @richbenmintz. But since I have more than one ProductType, I can't just calculate the months, not just like that.

The calculations of the number of months must then be per product type, and this is where I'm lost.

BR //Pär 

Hi @pade

You will find an updated pbix file in the following location with what i believe provides a solution to your issue:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhCeuF2piSWMgcAPqQ78uoQFqBKGkw

solution highlights:

- create a simple row count measure

- create a measure that counts the rows of a grouped table including Month and Product (would be product type in your case) where the date range includes the trailing 6 months

- create a measure that tests for the presence of 6 in the previous measure and set the value to 1 where true

/*Simple row count measure*/
rowcount = countrows('TransactionTable')

/*Count the number of rows in the summarized table only including trailing size months by product*/
Count of 6 month window = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE(SUMMARIZE('TransactionTable', TransactionTable[Product], 'Date'[Date].[MonthNo], "count", [rowcount])) ), DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],LASTDATE('Date'[Date]),-6,MONTH))

/*check for existence of 6 rows*/
Has 6 Months Trailing Sales = if(isblank([Count of 6 month window]) = false, if([Count of 6 month window] = 6, 1, 0), BLANK())

screen shot of results

Sales in trailing 6 image.PNG

I hope this helps,
Richard

Hi @pade,

I will have a look at your file later today, work getting in the way

I hope this helps,
Richard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.