Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculating Date Difference between 2 or more dates using DAX

Hi. I'm new in to Power BI and I'm currently making a new column that would give me the latency(no. of days between each transaction) for every member (card number).  Our business rule defined the formula for latency as: 

For Example: A member has an accumulated 3 visits:

Visit3-Visit2 = Diff 1
Visit2 -Visit1 =Diff 2
Get average of all differences to get  value for latency

My data looks something like this:

sample.png

Given that data set, what DAX formula should I use? What if a member would incur more than 3 visits? I came across a script online but I am not sure if it's correct but I gave it a try in Power BI but I encountered an error. 

lagcolumn script.png

Tried it and I got this error:

code.png

I would really appreciate your help guys. I badly need this for a report presentation for my project. Thank you in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on your sample data, I have created .pbix for you. You can download it.

The issue that you got error because the DateDiff() requires only three parameters passed. You can create the calculated column like below:

Diff = var  d=CALCULATE(MAX('Table1'[Transaction Date]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Card No.]=EARLIER(Table1[Card No.]) && 'Table1'[Transaction Date]<EARLIER(Table1[Transaction Date])))
return IF('Table1'[Transaction Date]<d,DATEDIFF('Table1'[Transaction Date],d,DAY),DATEDIFF(d,'Table1'[Transaction Date],DAY))

Then create a measure like below to return average of those difference values for each Card No.

Latency = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1[Diff]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),'Table1'[Card No.]=MAX('Table1'[Card No.])))

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on your sample data, I have created .pbix for you. You can download it.

The issue that you got error because the DateDiff() requires only three parameters passed. You can create the calculated column like below:

Diff = var  d=CALCULATE(MAX('Table1'[Transaction Date]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Card No.]=EARLIER(Table1[Card No.]) && 'Table1'[Transaction Date]<EARLIER(Table1[Transaction Date])))
return IF('Table1'[Transaction Date]<d,DATEDIFF('Table1'[Transaction Date],d,DAY),DATEDIFF(d,'Table1'[Transaction Date],DAY))

Then create a measure like below to return average of those difference values for each Card No.

Latency = CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Table1[Diff]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),'Table1'[Card No.]=MAX('Table1'[Card No.])))

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks u, I have solved my problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft, in relation to this solved problem, I am now trying to create a segmentation based on the members' latency and Average Ticket Value. 

My segmentation looks something like this: 

Screenshot_47.png

And I want to know how can I do it in DAX given the data set that I currently have. 

Hoping for your response. 

Thank you! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! This worked for me. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.