Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Waseem
Helper II
Helper II

Calculating Cumulative Monthly Totals

Hello Power BI Gurus

I am stuck up with a situation, for which I have seen many solutions. However, nothing worked for me as I have more columns in my table. I need to calculate Monthly Cumulative numbers that add up values for each month in respective codes. I have following table structure:

Capture.JPG

I need a new calculated field that creates cumulative monthly "Actual_KD" filed for each Account Code and Cost Center.

I have tried following formulae but it gives me zero values all the way (TB is my Table name):

Cumulative_Actual =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( TB'[Actual_KD] ),
    ALL ( 'TB' ),
    'TB'[Month] <= EARLIER ( 'TB'[Month] )
)

Appreciate support of experts

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Waseem, oh i'm sorry for missing in quickly typing. there is misssing filter in the expression:

Cumulative_Actual =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'TB'[Actual_KD] ),
   filter( ALL ( 'Dates' ),
    'Dates'[Date] <= MAX( 'Dates'[Date] ))
)

please kindly try again with calculated measure

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
harshaduggi
Frequent Visitor

I need a column where it has to show the count as per the MonthNo. Need help Urgent

harshaduggi_0-1650249492551.png

sorry i was not clear earlier. how about if the project extends for next year. please see below picture 

harshaduggi_1-1650250206564.png

Hi,

This calculated column formula works

=DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MIN(Table1[Month]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Project]=EARLIER(Table1[Project]))),Table1[Month],MONTH)+1

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi,

Write this calculated column formula

=month(Data[Month])

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
AndreSatziack
Helper I
Helper I

Hello Guys,

Thanks for all, I resolved  this problem with Dax bellow. Best Regards.

New Date Table:

Calendar = CALENDAR(MIN(Relatorio_Anual_2017[Criado]),MAX(Relatorio_Anual_2017[Criado]))
New Measure:

Acumulado = CALCULATE(
	SUM(Relatorio_Anual_2017[Horas]),
	FILTER(
		ALLSELECTED('Calendar'[Date]),
		'Calendar'[Date] <= MAX ('Calendar'[Date])
	)
)
AndreSatziack
Helper I
Helper I

Hello guys,

How are you? I need your help for same problem.

I used same DAX sample, but this not worked for me, can you help me?

I have following table structure.

Thank you very much.

tringuyenminh92
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Waseem,
Instead of using Calculated Column, you could use Calculated Measure:

• Created new Dates table: Dates= Calendarauto()
  • Making relationship between fact and dates table
  • Create calculated measure:
Cumulative_Actual =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'TB'[Actual_KD] ),
    ALL ( 'Dates'),
    'Dates'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Dates'[Date] )
)

Please refer my example as a part of topic: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/DAX-Count-of-Stores-that-are-under-the-Average/td-p/100685

In case you still want to go on with Calculated Column, you could try replace method ALL with ALLEXCEPT(TB,columnyouwantfilter1,columnyouwantfilter2)

Please feel free to show your expectation in picture or let me know if you need a sample to clarify any concern. If this works for you please accept it as solution and also like to give KUDOS. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for this input that create measure not column to get the desired result. 🙂 Finally, this got my work done.

Hi @tringuyenminh92

Sorry if it is not legible. The error reads like following:

"A Function MAX has been used in the True/False expression that is used as a Table Filter expression. This is not allowed".

Regards

@Waseem, oh i'm sorry for missing in quickly typing. there is misssing filter in the expression:

Cumulative_Actual =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'TB'[Actual_KD] ),
   filter( ALL ( 'Dates' ),
    'Dates'[Date] <= MAX( 'Dates'[Date] ))
)

please kindly try again with calculated measure

Great, this solution works, but what if you want to throw in a dimension at the legend level, this does not seem to work and is only multiplying and duplicating values. How can this formula be modified in the process?

@tringuyenminh92 Many Thanks.

You made my day. Cheers

Hello @Waseem

I have the same problem, can you help me too? I used the same code, but this not worked for me Smiley Frustrated

Thank you very much 😉

I have following table structure.

Power Bi Cumulative.png

Hi @AndreSatziack

You need to create a date table first and give it name "Date". You can create this table as below:

Date = CALENDARAUTO()

Then type following formula to crate a "New Measure":

Cumulative = IF(COUNTROWS(Relatorio_Completo_2017)<0,CALCULATE(SUM(Relatorio_Completo_2017[Hours]),FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Date}<=MAX{'Date'[Date]))),BLANK())..

Hope it helps

Cheers

Hi @AndreSatziack,

You should create Dates table by using Calendar() or CalendarAuto() method, and making relationship between your transaction table with this Dates table. Then apply above formula. please notice that we put filter on Dates table, not on transaction table.

In case this is still not working, please share your current working file and i could quickly check it for you.

Hello @tringuyenminh92 and @Waseem,

Thank you for your help 🙂

I tried to create but it did not work, it follows the same files I'm using to create the BurnDown graphic.

Thanks again for the help 🙂

Hi @tringuyenminh92

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. I tried to do what you suggested but there was an error prompt. I created both a measure and a column but ended up with same error message. Below is the snapshot of my dashboard. Appreciate your help.

Capture.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.