Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculated Column Based on Unrelated, Filtered Table

Currently, I have 2 tables : SalesTable and FilterTableSalesTable is my main data table with 20+ fields, which includes columns called "Price with Tax" and "Price without Tax". FilterTable only contains one column and has 2 rows: "Price with Tax" and "Price without Tax". My goal is to have a filter with the values from FilterTable, and when the user selects one of the values, I'll have a created DAX column called "Final Price" to take that filter value and update the DAX calculation accordingly. Right now, I have the filter set up and the DAX forumula below to create my new FinalPrice column - when the user changes the filter value, this calculation changes as well.

This is working perfectly, however, it's set up as a measure and not a standard column (and I need this to be evaluated at the row level). When I try to convert this to a column, the dynamic filtering does not work. I select different filters but the calculation does not change. Is there an easy way to update the below code to get this workable for a column? I've tried removing the MAX() pieces and tweaking some other parts, but no luck.

FinalPrice = 
IF (AND(HASONEVALUE(FilterTable[FilterColumn]),MAX(FilterTable[FilterColumn]) = "Price with Tax"),
    MAX(SalesTable[Price with Tax]),

IF(AND(HASONEVALUE (FilterTable[FilterColumn]),MAX(FilterTable[FilterColumn]) = "Price without Tax"),MAX(SalesTable[Price without Tax]), 

IF (
        NOT (ISFILTERED ( FilterTable[FilterColumn]) ) ),
        BLANK ()
    )
))
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

As @Greg_Deckler has mentioned above, not like measures, calculate columns/tables are computed during database processing(e.g. data load/refresh) and then stored in the model, they do not response to user selections on the report.

So it is not possible to create a calculate column/table that can change dynamically with user selections on the report. Only the measure can work in this scenario. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

if you need the RowLevel of your 'SalesTable', you have to use MAXX() one of the table iterator functions, like

MAXX('SalesTable', 'SalesTable'[Price with Tax])

or
MAXX('SalesTable', 'SalesTable'[Price without Tax])

Depending on your TRUE / FALSE branch in your IF statements

Hope this helps

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

As @Greg_Deckler has mentioned above, not like measures, calculate columns/tables are computed during database processing(e.g. data load/refresh) and then stored in the model, they do not response to user selections on the report.

So it is not possible to create a calculate column/table that can change dynamically with user selections on the report. Only the measure can work in this scenario. Smiley Happy

Regards

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Calculated columns are not dynamic within the context of a report. They are essentially calculated at the time of data load. Can't you just use a table visualzation and add in your row identifier and your measure?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors