Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Morten_DK
Helper I
Helper I

Calculate last 12 months of sales and use it historically

Hi,

I need to calculate the last 12 months of sales per material number, but I need to calculate it based on today and then 12 months back. This means that it has to be calendar/time dimension independent. 

I tried to do something like:

Sales12M = CALCULATE (
    [Sales QTY];
    DATESBETWEEN (
        Calendar[Date];
        NEXTDAY ( SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( Today() ) );
        Today()
    )
)

But that doesn't work as I get the following error: The first argument to 'SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR' must specify a column.

Furthermore DATESBETWEEN in above points to the Calendar table, but that doesn't make sense in this case, so perhaps I am not on the right path at all.

The reason for why I need to use the calculation calendar independent is that I need to see the sales prices per material number in the last two years, but I need the quantity from the last 12 months to make a kind for weighted price. 

As a table I would like the following:

Period                 Material       Sales Price     Sales12M     Weighted Price

2016-01            A                 100                2                 200

2016-02            A                 110                2                 220

2017-01            A                 200                2                 400

4 REPLIES 4
Morten_DK
Helper I
Helper I

Hi both,

I have tried in my Calendar table to add the column "Today = Today()" and then used that one in the formula as follows:

Sales12M = CALCULATE (
[Sales QTY];
DATESBETWEEN (
Calendar[Date];
NEXTDAY ( SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ( 'Calendar'[Today]) );
Today()
)
)

It does not return any errors, but the result is that I get the Sales QTY for all periods, not only the last 12 months. Other filters are reflected though.

I then tried to move the Today column to my 'Movments' table and made the following formula:

Sales12M = CALCULATE(
[Sales QTY];
FILTER(
ALL('Movements');
Movements[Date]>=DATEADD(Movements[Today];-1;YEAR) && Movements[Material] = Max(Movements[Material])))

That however returns all periods Sales QTY and also does not reflect filters from other tables.

I think the issue is that I have a calendar table and a material number table that is connected to the 'Movements' table where the Sales QTY is comming from.

Hi @Morten_DK,

Are you able to achieve your requirement now? If not, would you please share sample .pbix about Movements and Calendar table for our analysis?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Morten_DK,

In your scenario, you can create a calculated column Today = TODAY(). Then create a measure like this:

Sales12M = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Sales QTY]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),'Table1'[Period]>=DATEADD('Table1'[Today],12,MONTH) && 'Table1'[Material]=MAX('Table1'[Material])))

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Have you tried creating a calculated column using the TODAY() function and using that in your SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.