Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmakhlo
Frequent Visitor

Calculate difference from previous month

Hello!

I would like to display the difference in cost by month. This is the current table I have. It shows cost by year-moth by site. I would like to show the difference in cost each month in another table. I have tried making a few measures but power BI was not too happy with them. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Data Sample.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @mmakhlo

If I was looking to solve this problem and ensure that I am using best practise as well as be able to use all the native DAX functions I would suggest first creating a Date Table. You can use the link below which explains what a date table is and how to use it.

http://radacad.com/do-you-need-a-date-dimension

Then once that has been created I would then create a measure which would represent the Previous Month using the PREVIOUSMONTH DAX function.

PY - Total Employee Expenses = CALCULATE([Total Employee Expenses],PREVIOUSYEAR('Date'[Calendar Date]))

Then it would be as simple as using your [Total Employee Expenses] - [PY - Total Employee Expenses] 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

The date table was a great suggestion. It helped fix a few other issues I am having with the report. With regards to this post/calculation, when I create the measure for the cost of the previous month, it doesn't create a value.

Here is my equation

Ext Cost Previous Month = CALCULATE([Ext Cost Sum], PREVIOUSMONTH('Date'[Date]))

When I try to insert the number into a table nothing appears.

My value for the difference between months is the same as the current month which is another indication that the previous month calculation is not working properly.

Any suggestions?

Hi @mmakhlo

Can you confirm that when creating your table or visual that you are using the Month from the DATE table you created and NOT from your data table?

That is often the issue when data is not showing, due to the PREVIOUSMONTH using the DATE table, and the table or visual is using the column from the data table, so the PREVIOUSMONTH will not work as expected.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmakhlo,

You can try to use below measure to get the diff of current date and previous month.

Diff of Previous Month = 
var currSite=MAX([Site])
var currDate=MAX([Date])
return
SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Sample'),[Site]=currSite&&FORMAT([Date],"yyyy-mm")=FORMAT(currDate,"yyyy-mm")),[Amount])-SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Sample'),[Site]=currSite&&FORMAT([Date],"yyyy-mm")=FORMAT(DATE(YEAR(currDate),MONTH(currDate)-1,DAY(currDate)),"yyyy-mm")),[Amount])

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors