Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xorpower

Calculate difference between dates in Power BI

Hello Guys,

I need to calucate difference between 2 dates and the output should be in  hours and minutes. It is possible that one of the date columns could be null/blank.

I have used DATEDIFF function but because one of the date could be blank and/or the difference between both the dates could be negative (i.e. Start Date is less than End Date) I am unable to calcuate the output using DATEDIFF function.

As you can see in below figure there are 3 columns with dates; column A, B & C. The result set that I want is also attached below. The result set is Column B - Column A.

Can you please suggest how to handle the blanks and what to do if column A is lower value than column B?

Dates.PNG

Result Set.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xorpower,

Following Sean's suggestion, you can get the correct difference between two date columns, considering the scenation where one of the date columns is blank or column B is lower than column A.

Moreover, if you want to display values in format "00:08 Hours", please refer to below formulas.

Difference = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    'Date Difference'[Start Date] < 'Date Difference'[End Date], DATEDIFF ( 'Date Difference'[Start Date], 'Date Difference'[End Date], MINUTE ),
    'Date Difference'[Start Date] > 'Date Difference'[End Date], DATEDIFF ( 'Date Difference'[End Date], 'Date Difference'[Start Date], MINUTE ) * -1,
)

HourMinute =
IF (
    'Date Difference'[Difference] = BLANK (),
    BLANK (),
    FORMAT (
        ( 'Date Difference'[Difference] - MOD ( 'Date Difference'[Difference], 60 ) )
            / 60,
        "0#"
    )
        & ":"
        & FORMAT ( MOD ( 'Date Difference'[Difference], 60 ), "0#" )
        & " Hours"
)

1.PNG

2.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@xorpower  Look at my response here

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Measure-to-Calculate-the-number-of-days-between-two-date-col...

Just change DAY to HOUR in the formula 

Good Luck!Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.