Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Powell360
Helper I
Helper I

CALCULATETABLE Function error

I am using the following expression to poulate a measure:-

TestMeasure = 
CALCULATETABLE(
'Table',
'Table'Field <> BLANK()
) 

Which is returniong the following error: -

The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value.

Isn't the whole point of CALCULATETABLE that it returns a table rather than a scalar value? Im very confused by this, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Im hoping to create the table so that I can then select the max value from a column within it. 

Is there another way I can approach this? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

CALCULATETABLE returns a table but then you are passing this whole table into a measure, which expects a scalar value. How about using MAX('table'[column])? 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

CALCULATETABLE returns a table but then you are passing this whole table into a measure, which expects a scalar value. How about using MAX('table'[column])? 

The problem was that I was trying to stuff a table into a scalar variable. 

I fyou need the solution to the main issue please check https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SELECT-MAX-Date-FROM-Source-WHERE-Reference-Column-IS-NOT-N...

Thanks

@Anonymous thanks for the reply.

I had assumed as much (I'm quite new to PowerBI but I have a strong T-SQL background). 

I am simply trying to select the maximum Date (ColA) from Table1 where ColB is not null. Im I going about this the wrong way? 

I used you solution in my first itteration but it does not allow for the NULL filter.

Thanks 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.