Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ayupchap
Helper III
Helper III

Breaking down periods of a year for analysis

I work in a school so our academic years are not the same as a calendar year.  I love the functionality of the breakdowns you can get with the date whereby it gets grouped by Year, month day etc.  Is there anyway POwerbi can have custom dates used to do this so I can fit it into the school calednar or is there another workaround for this, be so useful.

4 REPLIES 4
chbraun
Helper I
Helper I

Another way to go at this is to create a calculated column in your date table where you map the date to whatever time period you want to use (for example, semesters or trimesters). Once you have that you can use that column in all slicers, charts etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you possibly take your date field, group it on Months (Bin) then use the Group feature again on the Group you just created, this time using the List function rather than Bin to create a custom set of School Years?

DaHa.

Ooh let me look into this.  I have never used the bin group function, how does that work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When grouping dates (or possibly other things too) Bin lets you select Years/Months/etc... as groups.

Good luck with it hope it works.

DaHa.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.