Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

raphael_moreira
Frequent Visitor

BUG - DirectQuery with Advanced Options

Hello. I have a scenario with problems:

Scenario 1
- I created a new data source in "DirectQuery" mode;
- I chose a "Table" from the list;

- I didn't use "Advanced Options" (default)
- After import, I added custom columns.
- Everything is OK!

Scenario 2
- I created a new data source in "DirectQuery" mode
- I expanded "Advanced Options", and typed my own query
- After import, I added custom columns;
- A warning pops up on the screen, does not let me save, and says it can only save if I change from "DirectQuery" to "Import".

- I don't want to do that!

Scenario 3
- I created a new data source in "DirectQuery" mode
- I chose a "View" from the list, which does the same query I did in Scenario 2;

- I didn't use "Advanced Options" (default)
- After import, I added custom columns;
- Everything is OK!

Why can't type my own query in "Advanced Options" and create custom columns?

It's the same thing I did in Scenario 1 and 3. And both worked with "DirectQuery" and custom columns.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @raphael_moreira,

I think that's the limitations of data transformations of DireatQuery. Please refer to #limited-data-transformations

If you open the SQL Server profiler, you will see the difference between a View and a customized query. 

If you have any more questions, please feel free to input here.

>>>Any such transformation will need to be applied on every query to the underlying source, rather than once on data refresh, so they are limited to those transformations that can reasonably be translated into a single native query. If you use a transformation that is too complex, then you will receive an error that either it must be deleted, or the model switched to Import mode.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @raphael_moreira,

I think that's the limitations of data transformations of DireatQuery. Please refer to #limited-data-transformations

If you open the SQL Server profiler, you will see the difference between a View and a customized query. 

If you have any more questions, please feel free to input here.

>>>Any such transformation will need to be applied on every query to the underlying source, rather than once on data refresh, so they are limited to those transformations that can reasonably be translated into a single native query. If you use a transformation that is too complex, then you will receive an error that either it must be deleted, or the model switched to Import mode.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.