Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AdamWOOD
Regular Visitor

BI web vs desktop

What are the differences between desktop and web version? I wonder if all functionality is the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Additionally, the desktop contains a whole suite of tools to create models. 

Desktop: Build models, create visuals

Web: Create visuals, Sharing 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Additionally, the desktop contains a whole suite of tools to create models. 

Desktop: Build models, create visuals

Web: Create visuals, Sharing 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I Wonder why they are different, functions that you highlighted are very important and should be in each product. I would like to have best of both worlds

You absolutely can have the best of both worlds. Build your data models in Desktop and create your reports and then upload your resulting PBIX file into the service. It will import your data model and reports and then you can build dashboards from that.

@Seth_C_Bauer has it right, the Desktop is more of you high-powered data import and modeling tool and the Service is more geared toward sharing and collaboration. Similar to other reporting and BI tools, you use Visual Studio to build reports that you then share via SSRS for exmple.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some of you have written reasonable/logical responses, but in my humble opinion I still think that functionallity should basically be the same, other way is like using Word 2013 to make a line bold and then have to use word online to make it italic....

Anyway, does the online version allow the creation of DAX metrics, or only the Desktop version?

Regards

@Anonymous Only the desktop version allows for the creation of DAX metrics.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One issue I have found when getting started is that if I follow the tutorial (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-get-started/) using the desktop version, it doesn't work! The chart doesn't look the same, the fields aren't the same, it's all messed up!

Surely, this is not a good way to introduce people to Power BI!

Will

It doesn't look like this by any chance does it?  Online works fine for me, but desktop seems broken.

powerbi-broken.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it wasn't that bad for me. But the chart that resulted from following the steps looked nothing like the chart in the tutorial. Was a bit confusing to say the least!

Regards,

Will

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

One big difference is that the web service provides the ability to create dashboards. A second big difference is the number and types of data sources avaible. In the service you have access to content packs while in the Desktop you do not. But, in the Desktop, you have a much wider array of data sources available like Teradata, MySQL, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

But isn't this weird that desktop cannot create dashboard? It becomes a hassle that I have to jump back and forth between desktop and service to modify my report and repin it onto my dashboard. 

My difficulties come when I am making a PowerApp application that has PowerBI tile embedded in it. Since PowerApp can only pull dashboard tile and not report page, it forces me to use two platforms for the same production at all times. Hopefully devs can read this and provide a response :S 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.