Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DSVella
Regular Visitor

Avoiding truncation of Y-Axis labels.

Good afternoon all;

I have recently started trying to use Power BI Desktop. For my first attempt I am trying to replicate a dashboard I currently have in Excel. So apologies in advance if my question or explanation is a bit simple.

I am making a stacked bar chart to show top 10 call reasons by volume. I have been able to add the visual and properly define its fields and sorting. The call reason (Y-Axis) can be something like "COOLING SYSTEM - WATER PUMP" but the chart will display something like  "COOLING SYS...". The tool tip will show the full label but I want the axsis label to be full or wrapped. In order to get these to work you end up with a comicly long chart.

I have tried adjusting the font size and width but neither achieve what I want.

Any suggestions or advice is very welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DSVella,

I could reproduce your issue in my local environment (Version:  2.43.4647.541 64-bit February 2017). Unfortunately, the word wrap option hasn't been applied to chart visual right now. This option is only available in chart and matrix visual now. I would suggest you submit this feature request at this page: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas, and you can post the link back, I will vote it for you. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amos_jevons
Regular Visitor

There is now a "Maximum Size" slider which changes the amount of space available for Y Axis labels (using version 2.63 here)

Maximum size slider for bar chart y axisMaximum size slider for bar chart y axis

Here is an additional solution using the Matrix visual with conditional formatting to enable more control of the y-axis labels on a simiplied bar chart.  Maybe this will meet your reporting neededs: Fixing the Truncated Bar Chart

Mike Carlo ( https://powerbi.tips )
mike@PowerBI.Tips
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @DSVella,

I could reproduce your issue in my local environment (Version:  2.43.4647.541 64-bit February 2017). Unfortunately, the word wrap option hasn't been applied to chart visual right now. This option is only available in chart and matrix visual now. I would suggest you submit this feature request at this page: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas, and you can post the link back, I will vote it for you. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Good morning @v-yulgu-msft

Thanks for getting back to me. I have done 2 things.

Firstly: As you suggested I have posted my idea here.

Secondly: I have found a suggestion that has be posted already to control the horizontal allocation of the space of the bar chart. This would also work. I have given it a +3.

For the moment I am going to have to put down Power BI desktop as that this is a major requirement for me and the lack of this feature is a deal breaker.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi @DSVella,

Thanks for your feedback. I have voted for both ideas from the links you provided.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.