Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Average number of days until cumulative total reached

I have received a request for a calculation that I am in need of some help to create.

One of our leadership team has posed the question "On average, how many days does a new rep need to reach a cumulative sales total of $1million?"

Any suggstions on how to build and filter the necessary calculation based upon Total Sales?

@Sean, @KHorseman or @MattAllington could probably do this in their sleep.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kcantorI dunno about in my sleep, but I think I've found something that works. It ain't pretty.

Given a simple table of daily sales (three columns: SalesRep, Amount, Date) and a standard date table, I believe this measure will do it:

DaysToMillion = AVERAGEX(
	SUMMARIZE(
		Sales,
		Sales[SalesRep],
		"Days", VAR first = CALCULATE(MIN(Sales[Date]))
		VAR million = CALCULATE(
			MIN(Sales[Date]),
			FILTER(
				ADDCOLUMNS(
					Sales,
					"Cumulative", CALCULATE(
						SUM(Sales[Amount]),
						FILTER(
							ALLEXCEPT(Sales, Sales[SalesRep]),
							Sales[Date] < EARLIER(Sales[Date])
						)
					)
				),
				[Cumulative] >= 1000000
			)
		)
        RETURN CALCULATE(
			COUNTROWS(
				DATESBETWEEN(DateTable[Date], first, million)
			)
		)
	),
	[Days]
)

I only tested this on a sample table of 1000 rows with 6 sales reps. I have no idea how well this scales with larger datasets. If you have a lot of sales reps and a lot of sales, you may find better performance if you trim this down and use parts of it to create an actual summary table and then get an average out of that. If your sales table has a lot of columns you should use a SUMMARIZE inside the ADDCOLUMNS so you just grab the three columns you actually need.

It basically ignores date filters in aggregate (i.e. this is lifetime days to $1m, not annual days to $1m). If you want an annual restart you'd have to change the part where it uses ALLEXCEPT. Something something DATESYTD mumble mumble...? I don't know, I haven't figured that out yet.

View solution in original post

Here, have some example files.

Here's the sample sales data.

Here's the pbix. It has two methods: the measure above and an alternative summary table and average measure.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kcantorI dunno about in my sleep, but I think I've found something that works. It ain't pretty.

Given a simple table of daily sales (three columns: SalesRep, Amount, Date) and a standard date table, I believe this measure will do it:

DaysToMillion = AVERAGEX(
	SUMMARIZE(
		Sales,
		Sales[SalesRep],
		"Days", VAR first = CALCULATE(MIN(Sales[Date]))
		VAR million = CALCULATE(
			MIN(Sales[Date]),
			FILTER(
				ADDCOLUMNS(
					Sales,
					"Cumulative", CALCULATE(
						SUM(Sales[Amount]),
						FILTER(
							ALLEXCEPT(Sales, Sales[SalesRep]),
							Sales[Date] < EARLIER(Sales[Date])
						)
					)
				),
				[Cumulative] >= 1000000
			)
		)
        RETURN CALCULATE(
			COUNTROWS(
				DATESBETWEEN(DateTable[Date], first, million)
			)
		)
	),
	[Days]
)

I only tested this on a sample table of 1000 rows with 6 sales reps. I have no idea how well this scales with larger datasets. If you have a lot of sales reps and a lot of sales, you may find better performance if you trim this down and use parts of it to create an actual summary table and then get an average out of that. If your sales table has a lot of columns you should use a SUMMARIZE inside the ADDCOLUMNS so you just grab the three columns you actually need.

It basically ignores date filters in aggregate (i.e. this is lifetime days to $1m, not annual days to $1m). If you want an annual restart you'd have to change the part where it uses ALLEXCEPT. Something something DATESYTD mumble mumble...? I don't know, I haven't figured that out yet.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

KHorseman wrote: trim this down and use parts of it to create an actual summary table and then get an average out of that.

I added an extra row to the data set provided - @KHorseman with sales 1 short of a million

Summary Table - 1.png

The results...

Summary Table - 2.gif

@KHorsemanGreat Job! Smiley Happy

Here, have some example files.

Here's the sample sales data.

Here's the pbix. It has two methods: the measure above and an alternative summary table and average measure.

@KHorsemanYou solved that beautifully . . . twice!

I was stuck in the middle where you added ALLEXCEPT which solved my problem. I did add in a seperate filter to only calculate working days as our teams do not work on weekends. Other than that it is perfect out of the box.

I used both the measure and the calculated table. Both perform well with 2.5 million rows and 18 reps.

Do you plan to attend the Data Insight in June? Perhaps just being in the room with you and folks like @Sean will allow my DAX to improve through osmosis.

That's great. I was worried because this formula looks like it has at least three different performance killers combined, so I'm glad to hear it works with that much data.

I want to go to the summit. I was there last year. I need to pester my boss about approving it again. I'd love to get to meet and chat with you and a bunch of the other regulars on here.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kcantor

Do those sales earn monthly interest?

If not why can't you just divide 1,000,000 by the Average Daily Sales per Sales Rep

I don't know if you are looking for the equivalent of the Excel NPER function but if there's no interest there's no need?

NPER Function.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.