Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sbmeder
Helper I
Helper I

Average Invoice Value

Have a table that displays customer name, customers gross sale values for a filtered time period and the number of invoices relating to those sales. Want to add another column in the report that shows average invoice value per customer. 

Regards,

Scott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@sbmeder

You can use the same Dax Formula like a measure instead of a calculated Column

Measure.png

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Can you just divide the gross sales value measure by the number of invoice measure you already have?

Matt,

Dont think so. Using the BI functions to key off customer name, aggregate invoice value into total value, then using the count distinct function to determine qty of invoices. So I have all the pieces of the puzzle, but not familiar enough with the BI product. I dont think I can add a calcuation at the report level?

bi avg Capture.JPG

Scott

"I dont think I can add a calcuation at the report level?"

I don't understand what you are saying here.  You only want at a grand total line? How are the other two columns calculated?  As measures or calculated columns?

Matt,

On the report I want to add a column to the right that has the average invoice value for each customer. So as an example complete pool and spa part supply would have the value of 134.80 divided by the 3 invoices that created that gross  Revenue. In an excel summary I would just add that column to the sheet.  I would think you could add a column in the visualization table where that value could be calculated.

BI Capture 2.JPG

I think that @mattbrice was suggesting that you add a new measure to do the calculation, then add that measure to the table. 

For example:

1. Click Modeling > New Measure

2. Type the formula, e.g:

Average Invoice Value = DIVIDE ( [Sum of Price], [Count of Sales Invoice Number] )

3. Add that measure to the Values of your table

Not a programmer so maybe syntax wrong. This is what I got from the formula. BI Capture 3.JPG

Apologies, the formula I used would only work if those fields were already measures...but they aren't.

A quick fix is to use this formula:

Average Invoice Value = DIVIDE ( SUM( 'Table Name'[Sum of Price]), SUM('Table Name'[Count of Sales Invoice Number] ))

(where 'Table Name' is the name of the table that stores those fields - I can't read it all in your screenshot, but it starts with 'Daily Item Sales by...' )

In the longer term, its usually a good idea to create 'explicit' measures for things like 'Sum of Price', then use those measures in other formulas. That helps if you ever need to change the measure, because you only have to edit it in one place.

BI Capture 4.JPGAlmost there. The invoice count is not a measure. It is created by using the count distinct feature  of invoice numbers that relate to the customer in column 1. So  right now getting $0 in that column.

Hi @sbmeder,

Have you tried the formula provided by MalS above? It should work in your scenario. If you still have any question, feel free to ask.Smiley Happy

Regards

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance.  I have finally gotten my owner's attention with this product and what it can do for the Company. What is the best way to find consultants to help structure reports so we can slice and dice the data.  My main issue is dealing with the date functionality. I am not a programmer, and I know BI will do what I want it to do, but I have no idea how to write DAX.  looking at customer sales, last month vs this month. Last year vs This year. Same thing with Product lines and Geographic data. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Regards,

Scott

Hi @sbmeder,

That's all right! We have a lot DAX experts in the forum. If you have any issue with DAX, just create a new thread, and post your table structures with some sample data and your expected result. I'm sure you will get the issue resolved.Smiley Wink

Regards

Ahh - ok. Maybe try:

Average Invoice Value = DIVIDE ( SUM( 'Table Name'[Sum of Price]), DISTINCTCOUNT('Table Name'[Sales Invoice Number] ))

Mal,

BI Capture 03-27.JPGFinally had a chance to use your suggestion, still not getting the correct calculation.  For Leslie's the average invoice value should be 22.34. 

Hi @sbmeder,

A little weird. The formula seems all right.

Could you share a sample pbix file which can reproduce the issue? So that we can help further investigate on it. You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.Smiley Happy

Regards

Data is from a direct query.  What is the best way to get you what information you need.

Regards,

Scott

Hi @sbmeder,

Is it possible for you to create a new sample pbix file to import the table from your data source, then share it with us?Smiley Happy

Regards

I have the provided sample data.  I select customer number, then data field " Sum of Price" bad name for a data field and let BI summarize the values for all transactions for each customer number.  Then I select Invoice number and ask for distinct count to get the number of invoices. Hope this helps explain the situation. 

https://ebsbi.sharefile.com/d-sae5c5584a564dc8b

Regards,

Scott

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@sbmeder

You can use the same Dax Formula like a measure instead of a calculated Column

Measure.png

Lima - Peru

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors