Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JenM
Advocate II
Advocate II

Auto scale on line charts "freaks out" when graphing constant decimal data

Visualization:  Linear line chart with y-axis scale start/end set to auto.

I'm trying to graph decimal data that is derived using the DAX DIVIDE() function (in SSAS). I have configured my resulting data to have 2 decimal places. If I show data for multiple data sets (customers in this case), the scale displays correctly.

If, however, I slice down to a single customer whose data happens to not vary over the selected time scale, the auto scaling algorithm doesn't come up with reasonable start & end points. The only scale marker that shows is that of something close to my value (e.g., 1.00).  But what should be a straight line is wildly crooked. The tooltip correctly reports each data point as 1.00, but the line is drawn up, down & all over the place.

I suspect the scale is being set to nano proportions, and 1.00 might be being treated as 1.0000001 sometimes, 0.90000004 sometimes, etc. (Leading me to think that while I've set the precision to 2 decimal places, the internal precision is much greater. However, the same two numbers are being divided in each case, so you'd think they return the same result.) 

I would insert an image if I could figure out how to do so - I don't think what I've inserted below will work:

broken auto scale

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@JenM

If you change the decimal places to 9 or 10 instead of 2, can you see there is any difference in the tooltip for the values?

BTW, if you use DAX ROUND() function to round the divide result to 2 decimal places, will the chart change?

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JenM
Advocate II
Advocate II

Your second tactic is an effective work-around.

The first tactic shows 1.0 out to 10 decimal places.

Thanks, Herbert!

bug 10 decimal places.JPGbug round 2.JPG

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@JenM

If you change the decimal places to 9 or 10 instead of 2, can you see there is any difference in the tooltip for the values?

BTW, if you use DAX ROUND() function to round the divide result to 2 decimal places, will the chart change?

Best Regards,

Herbert

JenM
Advocate II
Advocate II

The connection mode is Live Connection.broken auto-scale.JPG

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@JenM

What is the connection mode here, Direct Query or Import? Could you please repost the screenshot since it cannot be displayed properly.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.