Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

August update broke Conditional Columns for date fields?

I initially created a dashboard with the July version of PowerBI desktop and added a conditional column in a query:

CC1.PNG

Now I have the August update, and when I try to alter that conditional column, I click on the settings button and it looks like this

CC2.PNG

Notice that the "Operator" value is blanked out; I try to add the operator back in, but after I do I click OK and the column does not calculate correctly. Going back into the "Add Conditional Column" dialog I see the blank operator again.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I am currently running 2.38.4491.282 64-bit (August 2016)

Thanks,

David Edelman

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dedelman_clng,

Based on my test on Power BI Desktop 2.38.4491.282 version, when we add a new conditional column in the query, the column will return correct data, though the operator is missing when we open the conditional column settings again. As you can see the formula is also perform 'Is Before' function.

z2.PNG

a2.PNG

In your scenario, please try to recreate this additional column in query editor, check which formula is used for this column.

Meanwhile, I will report the issue about missing operator in additional settings.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@dedelman_clng

This issue will be addressed in September release of PBI Desktop. Please wait for the coming update and have another try later.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@dedelman_clng

This issue will be addressed in September release of PBI Desktop. Please wait for the coming update and have another try later.

Best Regards,

Herbert

I have downloaded the Sept 2016 update and this bug is no longer an issue.  Thanks everyone!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dedelman_clng,

Based on my test on Power BI Desktop 2.38.4491.282 version, when we add a new conditional column in the query, the column will return correct data, though the operator is missing when we open the conditional column settings again. As you can see the formula is also perform 'Is Before' function.

z2.PNG

a2.PNG

In your scenario, please try to recreate this additional column in query editor, check which formula is used for this column.

Meanwhile, I will report the issue about missing operator in additional settings.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun_Yu  -

You are correct - the column is calculating correctly.  I was incorrect about that.  But the blank operator is still a cause for concern.

Thanks.

Hi @dedelman_clng,

I already reported this issue, and I will back here to update information about this issue. Your patience is greatly appreciated.  Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

You can add your own screenshots to the top of the email that the Send a Frown generates. I've attached video before as well.

Treb Gatte | Business Solutions MVP | Power BI Recordings | @tgatte | Blog 

You can also send a frown from the PBI Desktop. I've had faster response using this method.

Treb Gatte | Business Solutions MVP | @tgatte | Blog | Power BI Recordings

Thanks trebgatte, but I cannot get to the frowny-face from the "Add Conditional Column" dialog box.  The screen shot it proposes to send is of the data, not the screen with the blanked out operator.  Is there possibly a shortcut key that can get me to the frown, or can I add my own screenshots to the message?

Sorry for the newb questions.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dedelman_clng I can replicate your issue. Seems like a bug. You should report it here.

Thanks ankitpatira.  I have submitted as a bug/idea report

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.