Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cul33
Frequent Visitor

Assigning values to increments in a loop

I have a column of data comprising blocks of 3 entries.  Each block of 3 is unique and I need to add a new column which contains n an incremental value for each of the entries within each block as A, B, C (or 1, 2, 3) then start again at the next unique block.

e.g. there could be 3 entries labelled "car" followed by another 3 entries labelled "bus". I want to assign a value of A in the new column to the first entry of car, B to the second entry, C to the third - then repeat the cycle from A for bus.

Any advice on the best way to accompish this would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Cul33

In Power query, I would

1. Add an index to the core table
  2. take a copy of the table.
  3. group the copied table by the first three columns - adding a MIN aggregation column
  4. Merge the grouped table back to the original table including the new [offset] column
  5. create a NEW column that subtracts the offset from the index to generate a number that can be converted to ABC
  6. remove the interum columns. 

offset.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI there, Can you please post a small sample of your data so we can suggest some calculations. A mock up would be fine.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi Phil

Thanks for the reply.  

Below is a sample (which is extracted from the preliminary stages of transformation steps, hence the data types are not applied).

Each value corresponds to a heading that I want to create, which could be A, B or C.   So for the first block of 3 entries, in rows 67 to 69 -  the first entry for period Jan 2015 to Dec 2015 I want to be able to assign a value of "A" in an adjacent column, then for the second entry  a value of "B" and the third a value of "C".  When a change in Period is identifed, i.e. in row 70, I am wanting to return a value of A again in the adjacent and then to loop through to C - which would repeat for several thousand rows

Capture.PNG

I hope this makes sense.

Hi @Cul33

In Power query, I would

1. Add an index to the core table
  2. take a copy of the table.
  3. group the copied table by the first three columns - adding a MIN aggregation column
  4. Merge the grouped table back to the original table including the new [offset] column
  5. create a NEW column that subtracts the offset from the index to generate a number that can be converted to ABC
  6. remove the interum columns. 

offset.png

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks very much Phil - greatly appreciated. That addressed the issue.

If this were being done in Excel it woud lend itself well to an If function where, if the period is the same add 1 and if it changes return a value of 1 again. That would depend on the first entry having a value of 1 of course.   A nested If / VLookup / Match Index could then return the required Heading according to the value returned.  

I wonder therefore if there is a way to accompish this with DAX rather than creating a table?

Do you have any other columns in your table that can help split the ties into 1,2 & 3?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.