Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Assign Value to Calculation in DATEDIFF and Use Case Handling

I am currently using the following DAX statement to calculate the difference between two dates.

Day Count of Drop = SWITCH(
TRUE(),
'KPI Dashboard AD'[Campaign Creation Date]<'KPI Dashboard AD'[Start Date], DATEDIFF('KPI Dashboard AD'[Campaign Creation Date],'KPI Dashboard AD'[Start Date],DAY),
'KPI Dashboard AD'[Start Date]>'KPI Dashboard AD'[Campaign Creation Date], DATEDIFF('KPI Dashboard AD'[Start Date],[Days Between Drop Creation and Start],DAY)*-1,
)

This seems to work, but there are two use cases that this statement doesn't account for:

1. When Start Date is greater than the Creation Date - I would like this to show "Error"
  2. When Start Date is the Same as Creation Date - I would like this to show "0"

Once the above use cases have been handled, I am looking to have a process that assigns the value to the calculation.

When "Error" show "Error" (Use Case #1 above)

When calc is "0" Very Urgent (Use Case #2 above)

When calc between "1" and "3" Urgent

When calc between "4" and "7" Standard
When calc is "8" or greater, Not Urgent

Appreciate the feedback on how to do this.

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @irnm8dn

Is this calculated column close?

Day Count of Drop = 
VAR MyDateDiff = INT('KPI Dashboard AD'[Start Date]) - INT('KPI Dashboard AD'[Campaign Creation Date]) RETURN SWITCH( True(), MyDateDiff < 0 , "Error", MyDateDiff = 0 , "Very Urgent" , MyDateDiff < 4 , "Urgent" , MyDateDiff < 8 , "Standard" , "Not Urgent" )

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark

Phil, this is awesome.

Can you help adjust my original statement so that the following works as a proper calc?

When Start Date = Create Date "0"
When Start Date is greater than Create Date = "Error"

Essentially, I will have tow columns in my table

1.  The count of days between

2.  The  value which you addressed in your original post

Thanks!

HI @irnm8dn

So just to clarify, you are after a column that shows the difference between your two dates in days - but if the value is negative you want to display "Error"?

That would mean mixing data types, so all your numbers would be text.  

Have I understood correctly, or perhaps you could post a mock up (using excel) of what you would like the column to look like.

I'm just not sure what you mean by "proper calc"

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks for the clarification Phil.  You understand it correctly, and I see the conflict in what I have asked for.

I would take the negative value with a calc.  My statement does not address this condition.

That way I could differentiate between negative and true "0".

Sceondly, if you could help me understand your initial solution (which works great), that would help this newbie to not ask again.  Teach a man to fish, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.